What's new

Terminator Genisys (2015) (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I thought I had already read something to this effect, that it wasn't going to come out as originally planned but would still be coming at some point.

I really like all things Terminator, but honestly, the best thing done in the Terminator universe since the departure of James Cameron was the TV show "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" - I really loved that show, and was disappointed to see it canceled. I liked this new movie, but I didn't "buy it" the way I bought everything that happened in T1, T2 and the series.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will purchase Genisys on UHD if they release it as I will be purchasing a Samsung UHD player next month unless they push back the release date.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This ONLY applies to Paramount and Terminator films. Once the rights revert back to Cameron I'm sure we'll see another Terminator film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This ONLY applies to Paramount and Terminator films. Once the rights revert back to Cameron I'm sure we'll see another Terminator film.

Right. James Cameron has already said he plans to produce a new Terminator film then. Tim Miller is being looked at as a potential director. David Ellison of Skydance is contributing exploratory funds.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Do we REALLY need yet another version of the Terminator??

It really feels that the whole subject matter has been beaten to death and then some.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if Arnold will be in any kind of shape in 2019-2020 for another outing. Assuming they plan to carry on with the Model 101 Terminator. There's CGI like they did with Tarkin. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, in August. Was supposed to arrive last year for the 25th anniversary but I guess they were running late. Any excuse to see T2 on the big screen is good enough for me.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron

That's interesting, this article says there with be a major franchise announcement coming this year:

http://collider.com/terminator-5-update/#david-ellison

“I will say we have resolved the future of the franchise and believe me its an incredibly bright future. I think where it’s going will be the continuation of what the fans really wanted since T2.”

“We have something this year that we will be announcing for the franchise. It’s something we’re incredibly excited about and we think is the direction it needs to head.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I remember watching the first 15-20 minutes of Genisys with a huge smile on my face, wondering, "why do people hate this so much? I'm loving it so far!" And then... just nosedived off of a cliff. It was shocking how far it fell.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Genisys was adequate as long as it was recreating another man's brilliant work shot-by-shot, with tweaks. The moment it was required to stand on its own and be something, it collapsed. Because guess what? Nobody brilliant was making it.

I really enjoyed "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," such as it was. Too bad its ratings didn't make it a hit.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I watched Genisys this week. I thought Emilia Clarke was kind of channeling Edward Furlong for most of the film, which was both fitting and odd. Her relationship with Pops was basically what Furlong's John C would have been if T2 had ended differently (and poorly, if Pops's deus-ex-machina-like "survival upgrade" was any indication).

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Arnold Schwarzenegger: I will be back in next 'Terminator' film

1261101_Arnold-Schwarzenegger.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I watched Genisys this week. I thought Emilia Clarke was kind of channeling Edward Furlong for most of the film, which was both fitting and odd. Her relationship with Pops was basically what Furlong's John C would have been if T2 had ended differently (and poorly, if Pops's deus-ex-machina-like "survival upgrade" was any indication).
I loved Emilia Clarke's casting as Sarah Connor in this. As great as Lena Headey was in "The Sarah Connor Chronicles", her take felt like an elseworlds take on Sarah Connor. Same core character qualities, but a very different performance than Linda Hamilton's. By contrast, I felt like Clarke's Sarah Connor would have grown up to be Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor had the timeline not been messed with again.

There were two major, fundamental failings for me: 1) The film never justified its own existence. It just felt like another tired iteration of the same concepts that had been well trod by the earlier films; 2) The casting of Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese. His take on the character has nothing whatsoever to do with Michael Biehn's take, he doesn't look anything like Biehn, and is fundamentally devoid of charisma. Seeing Boyd Holbrook in Logan, it still boggles the mind that it came down to those two and they went with Courtney over Holbrook.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks