Terminator Genisys (2015) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Adam Lenhardt said:
I do wonder why they chose to recreate the beats with the garbage man, rather than simply editing in the original footage with Chino 'Fats' Williams since the character's brief contribution is exactly the same in both movies.

I read somewhere - can't remember if it was American Cinematographer, Entertainment Weekly or somewhere else altogether - that they couldn't get the rights to use footage from the original films, so that's why everything had to be recreated.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
I read somewhere - can't remember if it was American Cinematographer, Entertainment Weekly or somewhere else altogether - that they couldn't get the rights to use footage from the original films, so that's why everything had to be recreated.
Very interesting. Given the sorted rights history of this franchise, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I read somewhere that the quality was not good. If they had used any original footage, it would not have looked seamless.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
SamT said:
I read somewhere that the quality was not good. If they had used any original footage, it would not have looked seamless.

The aspect ratio is also different - original Terminator is 1.85:1 and the new movie is 2.35:1 - so they had to do a little recomposing of the shots. I'm sure technically speaking it could have been done but I think they did a good job of reshooting it.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Wow, we've recycled the exact same plot 4 out of 5 times now, adding less-skilled writers, directors, and actors each time, until we're left with one of those cheap plastic toys you get out of a bubblegum machine with all the plastic flash all over it. And it's not a hit?! What gives?! What a fickle public!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like this has fallen out of the Top 10 in its fourth weekend. Either that, or Paramount is too embarrassed to report a Friday estimate.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Deadline reporting it at #10 with a $2.38 million weekend

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Although I thought Mad Max Fury Road was 100x better than Terminator Genisys, I still enjoyed it and would love to see another sequel. And despite those numbers MMFR is considered successful while TG is not. Expectations, production, marketing costs, and the PG 13 rating are the cause.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also the reason TG is ahead in worldwide gross is because it has been released in China. Mad Max has not.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From the article linked above:

"As Forbes points out, “Genisys” has now outgrossed the similarly budgeted “Mad Max: Fury Road” because the Chinese government hasn’t permitted “Fury” to play there, at least not yet."

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I liked Genisys more than I expected to, it's better than Salvation. Jai Courtney was mis-cast as Reese, didn't like the villain reveal and didn't like how it basically erases most of the original and all of T2 but still like the idea of altering history. Liked the action, the T-1000 and J.K Simmons. I didn't mind there wasn't an explanation to who sent Pops.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
The John Connor from this film, with the scar on his bland, waxy face, really reminds me of Robert Englund in his version of Phantom of the Opera. That's all I can see when I look at it.

The basic idea of this movie is good. It would have been much better with Christian Bale back as John Connor, almost anyone else at all besides Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese, and a good dialogue polish on the script.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just watched the movie for the second time. It was more enjoyable the second time. I bump up my rating to 7/10. I think Jai Courtney and Jason Clarke are both miscast. With better casting, better music and a non spoiling marketing it would have been a great movie.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
It amazes me a little that Terminator sequels are just endless rehashes of the same concept, over and over. With one notable exception: Terminator Salvation.

That one had the balls to be different, but unfortunately failed because it fulfilled one simple cinematic test: "Was it directed by McG?"

Try it, it's fun. Citizen Kane: Was it directed by McG? No? Yay, then!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What surprised me this time was that if you don't think too hard, the story is actually easy to follow. Just needed 2 likable actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks