Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss

Terminator Genisys UHD Review
TG-FF_01-1024x428.jpg

After snagging the rights to the Terminator Franchise, Paramount poured a sizable amount of money into Terminator Genisys hoping to reignite the series hampered by two disappointing sequels following 1992s landmark first sequel, Terminator 2: Judgement Day). The plan failed win over American audiences. Those who did give Genisys a chance were split on whether it entertained and gave the series a worthy direction to go.

As an attempted restart for the franchise, it succeeds more than it falters, but it wasn’t enough. A lighter weight entry featuring a more comical Arnold and plenty of expert visual effects. Perhaps most notable of its accomplishments is the recreation of a1984 Arnold from the opening of the original Terminator - a remarkable feat of computer generated imagery (for more on that, check out my interview from 2015 with Sheldon Stopsack, VFX Supervisor on the film).

[review]

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I still have not seen this movie. Will fix that soon!

If you're a fan of the franchise I think you'll like it. It took a few viewings for it to grow on me but now it's my favorite since T2 and one of my reference Atmos discs.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
One of the main issues with the movie was the marketing:

The final trailer revealed every single surprise the movie had to offer. I remember being stoked to see the movie when the first trailer dropped. After that second, awful, full plot revealing trailer it dropped to “well maybe I’ll rent it someday ...”

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

The final trailer revealed every single surprise the movie had to offer. I remember being stoked to see the movie when the first trailer dropped. After that second, awful, full plot revealing trailer it dropped to “well maybe I’ll rent it someday ...”
I think you are right. I suspect they saw soft tracking and, what typically happens, is the marketing opens up to try and give people more reason to see a film. But, it's a darned if you do, darned if you don't, and the trailers end up revealing way too much and taking away reasons to go see it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

That's one way in which my near total [it would be total but I'm married, so... :) ] abandonment of the commercial market has paid off. I barely pay attention to trailers anymore. When I see them, I quickly assign a "pass, rent, or must own" rating and then move on. Few [Marvel's titles have become the recent exception] make the must own list during their first run. Some eventually might months or even years later. I doubt I ever saw the original trailer for this film.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Redeemed my digital copy code on this today thru FandangoNow, and got UHD. Vudu has not upgraded this title to UHD yet.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Redeemed my digital copy code on this today thru FandangoNow, and got UHD. Vudu has not upgraded this title to UHD yet.
It is enormously irritating to have to try and figure out the 'twister' like moves on where, how and in what order one must redeem codes to get the quality for which they have paid. I check a spreadsheet offered over at Blu-ray.com to see exactly what I need to do for each title - but the fact that one must consult a massive spreadsheet to try and figure it out is just silly. I wish the studios and service providers would get on the same darn page already!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It is enormously irritating to have to try and figure out the 'twister' like moves on where, how and in what order one must redeem codes to get the quality for which they have paid. I check a spreadsheet offered over at Blu-ray.com to see exactly what I need to do for each title - but the fact that one must consult a massive spreadsheet to try and figure it out is just silly. I wish the studios and service providers would get on the same darn page already!
What is even more irritating is when, after you've redeemed, if a provider offers the movie in the format/resolution you are "supposed" to receive but gives you an inferior version, they often wash their hands of the issue and blame the studio. This happens more often than not on UV titles. Movies Anywhere has actually gone to bat for me when either Vudu or FandangoNow have cheated me on giving me the right version and straightened them out.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I redeem first at iTunes if possible. If not Movies Anywhere.

That seems to be working.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I redeem first at iTunes if possible. If not Movies Anywhere.

That seems to be working.
I hear you. I don't have a 4K Apple TV yet, which makes that a less inviting an option, but I do have that on my radar to pick up at some point (for items that are MA, anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simkn-Hans