Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't think they should think too much about the box office of the movie and get worked up about it. It's the nature of the movie buisness. You can never plan or predict if a movie will be successful or not. If it was possible, everyone would have made successful movies.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Saw Terminator: Dark Fate on Blu, and felt it was excellent. I liked the different take on the story - i.e. because of the altered reality (i.e., Sarah Connor stopped the original future from happening), the future was changed. The Terminators still took over, but this time the woman that was going to lead the resistance (in the future) was the one the Terminators were after.

The "augmented" human protector was interesting, and also a different take than what was seen in previous films.

Also glad to see Arnold & Linda Hamilton back - very cool.

I definitely felt this was the best Terminator film since T2 (1991). Glad to see this franchise still has legs.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
It doesn’t. Dark Fate was a flop.
Irrelevant. The point is that this was still a solid movie, and a good entry to the franchise. I could care less how much $ it made - or didn't make - at the box office. If I based my enjoyment of films on box office sales only, I would like very few movies. And, for that matter - I feel a lot of movies that make a huge amount of money are pure garbage - i.e. Independence Day 1, Avatar, etc.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Irrelevant. The point is that this was still a solid movie, and a good entry to the franchise. I could care less how much $ it made - or didn't make - at the box office. If I based my enjoyment of films on box office sales only, I would like very few movies. And, for that matter - I feel a lot of movies that make a huge amount of money are pure garbage - i.e. Independence Day 1, Avatar, etc.
I’m not disagreeing with that. I’m just pointing out that it “didn’t have legs” referring to the franchise and boxoffice.

Obviously boxoffice does not equate to quality of the film. I loved it too. But it’s likely the last Terminator film for a looong time.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I’m not disagreeing with that. I’m just pointing out that it “didn’t have legs” referring to the franchise and boxoffice.

Obviously boxoffice does not equate to quality of the film. I loved it too. But it’s likely the last Terminator film for a looong time.
Fair enough; I'm just glad this film came out with the original stars (Schwarzenegger & Hamilton), given that they've gotten a lot older since the 2nd film. And, the fact that we've gotten two new Terminator films in the past 5 years is great. It's one of my favorite film franchises, and I like how it keeps getting revitalized.

Also enjoyed the short-lived TV series The Sarah Conner Chronicles - but that's another thread.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It has had a remarkable run considering that Cameron gave it a satisfying close with T2. T3 was fun and so was Genisys. Resurrection (?) was not very good. After T3 they just screwed around with the storyline. There’s no better way to kill a franchise than a box office bomb.

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
It has had a remarkable run considering that Cameron gave it a satisfying close with T2. T3 was fun and so was Genisys. Resurrection (?) was not very good. After T3 they just screwed around with the storyline. There’s no better way to kill a franchise than a box office bomb.
True

Genisys made $440 million worldwide
Dark Fate made $261 million

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
Just watched this film on Blu and really enjoyed it. I didn't know any plot points going in, so enjoyed the nostalgic ride. The Atmos soundtrack gave my system a good workout and I could really feel the bass roll through me a few times.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Haven't seen it yet - just ordered the Blu-ray yesterday.

If I won't "agree" with the plot development, it won't spoil a previous movie (like T2) for me. (I read that happened to someone in a review on Amazon.)
I feel much closer to the discussion in this thread anyway.

Cees

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw this for the second time and enjoyed it more.

For all the special stuff and EMP they needed
to destroy the terminator, how did they destroy the liquid part? They destroyed the skeleton only with the special "bomb".

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For me, Terminator: Dark Fate was serviceable but that is about it. I thought that Arnold gave the best and most nuanced performance in the film. Both of the lead actresses are quite capable, but both of their characters were written in very one-dimensional terms. The director only had to give Linda Hamilton one cue -"Be more cranky" :)

The action sequences were pretty well staged, but I didn't really get a sense of menace from the main antagonist of the film. Deadly, sure; but just not involving in any real way for me. The inevitable nature of the apocalypse was an interesting story concept that I wish the film had developed a bit more.

Didn't hate it, and it is probably worth viewing for fans of the franchise but for me it wasn't anything special.

I did like some of the terminator designs in this version of the future. I thought that was pretty creative.

- Walter.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I thought that Hamilton was the weakest part of the film, and that really disappointed me.

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: Malcolm R

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The thing about the terminators that I didn't like design wise was the tentacles. It reminded me too much of other sci-fi horrors. Terminator look should stay different.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Planmeister