Terminator and Robocop MGM.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Graham, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

****** is a large retail chain across Canada, and has a store in every sizeable town in Canada, including mine in Miramichi, New Brunswick (the province North of Maine). So last night I walk in to check out their DVD selection, and am completely blown away by what I see -
    Terminator : Special Edition from MGM, the movie-only MGM edition of Robocop, and Riddler On The Roof to boot. If I'm not mistaken, these DVDs aren't due out until this Tuesday or the week after. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything, but of all the places that offer DVDs I would never imagine ***** (which has a relatively small selection) to offer these kind of titles a week or two early.
    As for what I actually bought, it was the MGM SE of Silence of the Lambs - I'd been debating whether or not to buy it for a month now and figured since there was only one copy left at $22 + tax (CDN) I might as well pick it up - only problem is its the full screen version. I didnt realize the discrepancy until I was well on my home and the store had closed - hope they return my money !! I was mildly picking at the cellophane when I noticed what the white seal on the top of the package said "FULL SCREEN." Neither of the security seals were broken, so I hope don't get stuck with a horrific PAN & SCAN version ;(
    Wish me luck.
    [Edited last by Mike Graham on September 29, 2001 at 07:58 PM]
    [Edited last by Mike Graham on September 29, 2001 at 08:00 PM]

2. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Can a moderator please edit out the retailer in the above post?
    Mike -- welcome to the HTF! But next time, can you please not mention retailers that offer titles early? They can get into really BIG trouble if they're found out. Also, mentioning specific retailers that put titles out early is a big no-no on these forums.
    Just a word of caution.
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
    [Edited last by Brian Harnish on September 29, 2001 at 04:39 PM]

3. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

Ah...You've gotta love stores that break street dates. But Brian is right, you shouldn't ourtright name names, just tell people to e-mail you if they want to know where you got them. I picked up my copy of The Terminator SE at the same place that was selling the Total Recall SE and Basic Instinct SE early.
    ------------------
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~drashforth/_uimages/flaggif
    "Historians of science have long said: A body of knowledge that does not fit in with prevailing ideas, will be ignored as if it does not exist, no matter how scientifically valid it is."
    My Spare time larcenists
    The worst HT in America.
    [Edited last by Jeff Ashforth on September 29, 2001 at 05:33 PM]
    [Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 01, 2001 at 09:45 AM]

4. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

There I took the name out for ya - didn't realize it would cause some trouble, sorry about that.

5. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I picked up The Terminator SE tonight (Saturday) myself at a major B&M store. Just sitting there on the shelf, no special promotion or anything, for $19.99. Of course, it will probably be advertised as on sale tomorrow even cheaper, who knows. Anyway, this was the first time that I have ever been able to get a title before its street date.
    Considering this is one of my all time favorite movies, I was pretty excited! [​IMG]

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Damn! And I went around looking for an early Terminator today and didn't find one. Sigh. You never get a street-date-breaker when you want one! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Steve Tannehill on September 30, 2001 at 03:45 AM]

7. Andrew Cybulska

I was at a certain store (Ever see the wizard of oz? [​IMG] and saw The Terminator out on shelves so I took it to the register and they said they couldn't sell it to me because it wasn't out yet [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. Wake up!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.
    So face forward, with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... Are you ready to go?

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Let's see....I picked up the Suspiria LE a week early and The Limey about a week and a half early. Not too lucky, otherwise...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

9. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

I picked up Total Recall SE about a week and a half early and received my copy of Terminator SE saturday morning.
    Both discs are fantastic! Just wish Total Recall was in a normal keep case.