What's new

Terminator 4 (1 Viewer)

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
Exactly.

In T1 Judgement Day had already occurred in the future.

Yet, humanity could still change that future.

In T2, Judgement Day was close, but still looming in the future. Mankind could still alter its actions, its future, its fate....

In T3, Judgement Day has come. Mankind failed to heed the warnings, and still blundered on thinking the way it was going was the best way. The Terminator, knowing this, was sent back to protect Connor from death; to save him for his destined role to lead the survivors of humanity.

And yes, I liked T3 too. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've heard James Cameron say that the point of the movies was that people who were seemingly inconsequential (like a young waitress or a boy) were actually able to make a large enough difference to positively effect the future and that anyone of us could be the person that makes that positive difference. Unfortunately, Cameron didn't know his own creation as well as the other people that wanted to make money by making another Terminator movie. :)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another that liked Terminator 3. I also remember James Cameron mentioning to have enjoyed T3 as well... although he also enjoyed "Alien vs. Predator".

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I like the sound of everything in that article with the exception that "McG" might be directing... WHY!? I'd rather they bring Mostow, he did a pretty good job with T3, I'm sure there's another director out there who's more suitable for the job than McG. :thumbsdown:

I just hope they don't PG13 this up.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, it looks like this thread is lacking a dissenting opinion, so I will offer my services. The Terminator franchise is already dead. T3 was so awful that there really shouldn't be another installment. It was the equivalent of blunt force trauma for the franchise.

That said, I have been hearing rumblings of new installments without Arnold [and Cameron] for some time now. To be certain, these films [if they contain enough explosions and car chases] will find their mark with the younger crowd, and as such may actually represent good business decisions, but they will do a disservice to the fine art that is film.

T1 is the gold standard of the sci-fi genre, occupying a stature on the level of Aliens and Blade Runner. T2 also earned a seat at this prestigious table. T3 fell far short, not only in my opinion, but in the opinions of most reviewers, even if they liked the film overall.

I realize I will not get my wish, but I would love to see this franchise quietly go away.

Gunny

Brian D H

Second Unit

This franchise will never go away quietly.

The studios can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity or remorse or fear, and they absolutely will not stop-EVER, until this franchise is dead. :)

Sorry, it had to be said. You think T3 was the "equivalent of blunt force trauma for the franchise"? I'm a Highlander fan, so I know what can really happen. Think of Highlander II (shudder), III (OK...), IV (Had some moments), V (ScFi network movie... Now THAT was blunt force trauma). At least the Highlander TV Series was good. Maybe Sarah Connor Chronicles won't suck?

However, if you ignore TV, we are forced to look at the other 80s Sci-Fi movie franchises: Highlander, Alien/Predator.... it really doesn't look good. Maybe T4 will be good, maybe not. But it's obvious that they'll just keep making them until they DO suck.

May Terminator not suffer the same fate. *Amen*

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
This needs to stop. We need to send a Terminator back in time stop them for making the awful 3rd one which will result in having no need to make a 4.

Please stop this madness.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Dennis. I couldn't agree more, but I do understand what really drives the industry. The thing is, it wasn't always like this. Art used to mean something to film makers, but now we just get the same rehashed crap with greater special effects and prettier female co-stars. Oh well, thanks to DVD, I'll always have my classics.

Gunny

Brian D H

Second Unit

And that's the main point (and why this is more funny than sad). It doesn't really matter what they do to try and get a few more drops of blood from this stone. They can't take away T1 or T2. (Or Highlander for that matter) Plus, there's always the remote possibility that a new movie MIGHT be good. But even if it sucks, so what? That will simply kill the franchise and we can all go back to watching our old DVDs. And, in a decade or two, they'll just try a re-launch anyway, and maybe THAT won't suck.

Relaunch List (Reason for optimism?):
Battlestar Galactica (GREAT! check)
James Bond (GREAT! check)
Bat Man (GREAT! check)
Superman (Sort of...)
Bionic Woman (Ummm, we'll see...)
Star Trek (coming soon... who knows?)
Hulk (If the first relaunch sucks we'll just do it all again! **Sound FX of toilet flushing cash**)
Highlander (Please God, lets wait a decade for this one...)

The real victim in all this anything new and original. The studios spend so much money and effort squeezing every last dollar from every franchise that they rarely launch any new ones; or, God forbid, produce a completely original stand-alone movie. I encourage you all to seek out ANYTHING new and different that DOES sneak through and give it your financial support; whether it's a studio film, an independent, or foreign, or even just a TV show.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Well said. Not much I can add. Why a "sort of" for Superman? Other than the necessity to cast another person in the title role, I would love to see a seriously entertaining installment that does justice to Mr Reeve's legacy.

I lived in Denver for a couple of years in the early 90's. Used to work for a CompuAdd store and Gateway Credit Union back in the day. My sister is still there so I do visit from time to time.

I love Denver except it's too cold for my taste.

Gunny

Brian D H

Second Unit

Well, I liked Superman Returns, but 1) It was too slavishly referential to Donner's to be a true relaunch (or re-interpretation), and 2) I don't think the studio was completely thrilled with it, especially since they're putting JLA ahead of it for the next release with a different actor. In fact, you could argue that the up-coming JLA is the true relaunch while Superman returns was more of a continuation of the existing series. Batman, on the other hand, could never be accused of being a continuation of the Burton/Schumacher movies.

Denver may be cold at times, but we get a lot more sunshine than Georgia (300+ days a year) and you can count on at least one 70+ degree day every month of the winter.

(Oh, and I edited in the proper response to your "Cowboy" quote - Sorry it took me a bit of time.) ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Superman Returns was mildly entertaining for all of the wrong reasons. Pretty girls and special effects. Nothing wrong with those things of course and I did enjoy it. But I have not been drawn to watch it again since originally viewing it. Conversely, I watch films like Scarface, Wall Street, and Terminator I and II at least anually. Superman deserves a new installment worthy of ritual viewing if it's at all possible.

I can't argue with you about Denver and sunshine. Georgia sucks on many levels, but it's relatively cheap and does have a burgeoning population of transplants like me to mingle with. The proximity to Florida doesn't hurt either. I grew up in California, and am considering returning there. I've only been in ATL for about 6 years.

"Uncle Hulka???"

Gunny

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
McG? Is this an April Fool's joke in October? I put McG in the same category as Brett Ratner and Steven Sommers: three directors who comprise the real Axis of Evil. :)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I agree. I'll up the ante and say that #4 will not work unless it can live up to the exposition that Reese gave us in The Terminator (not to mention his dreams).

His description was perfect. How do you beat that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks