1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Terminator (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tony J Case, Jan 20, 2016.

1. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    That first release official picture is awful, it's like they used Paparazzi pictures to photoshop em out. A first official still should be a still, and a first official poster a poster. Here they release an amateur poster as a still, they clearly have confusing marketing issues (they showed it with the previous film).

Compare with T2 were the first released still was this (not counting the fantastic teaser trailer).

This pic was so EPIC I xeroxed it and stick it on the door of my shop. People would travel from the other side of the country on the week-ends to see it. (this was pre-internet). Everybody was buzzing each other screaming on the phone "I have seen a pic of T2 and he as the mini-gun from Predator!" and it would drive fans into a frenzy to see the pic.

Now compare to that laughable photoshoped still above...

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Are you talking about the one with Linda or the once with Arnold (assuming you’re referencing a photo in this thread)? Jeez now the movie is being criticized for publicity stills. That’s a reach.

Tino likes this.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Sorry but that shot seems like a generic shot from the film to me. It’s cool but Epic?? Don’t see it.

There are plenty of other shots from T2 that are way cooler imo.

4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    To see what? The film??

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I haven't liked any since the original movie. T2 when it first came out in the theater was pretty cool, but Sarah Connor's macho toughness is waaay more than I can take for another viewing. I saw T2 last year. I projected it for my nephews who really enjoyed it. It was torture for me. I couldn't wait until the credits rolled. A waste of lamp hours on my projector:D
    The first Terminator movie is the only one worth watching in my opinion. It is a pretty spectacular film.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Are you joking or being serious?

Johnny Angell likes this.
  7. Message #47 of 94 Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    Nope that shot was published in Starlog and was the first still anyone saw of T2.
    Yep people would take the train on the week-end to go to the closed shop, to see the picture of T2 sticked on the front door (since there was no way to see this preview of T2 other than to travel then).
    It's simple mathematics: the first shot of the film is the Terminator holding the Mini-Gun from Predator. You know instantly this movie is going to open BIG because that first shot promises Arnold in leather (ie faithful to the first film) and mayem because all Terminator fans love Predator.
    What does the photoshop first look of Terminator 2019 offers? A bunch of women photoshopped from Paparazzi pics. It tells nothing of the movie promise. We already know Sarah Connor is armed because we saw the previous pics.
    We still have no idea what this movie is about, except it features a bunch of women.
    Take a look at my Avatar, which is the first still from Escape From LA. Though the movie is botched, that shot send everyone into frenzy because it was Snake Plissken back in black with some high-tech shotgun. We would all be there on opening day because the promise was awesome.
    The promise of Terminator 2019 is that you will have three women including Sarah Connor.
    That's not good enough for a big opening. You need a picture that embodies the whole film promise released as you first still, something exciting. A woman with an ironbar in her hand and some scars on her chest doesn't seem exciting to me. The first look of Sarah was exciting, but we've seen it before.
    What is original in this film? What is transgressive? That first look doesn't convey anything.
    It's like Alita, they seem to be on a course to have these movie fail with the marketing.
    I'm not a fan of SW EP 7 but that trailer was mind blowing.

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    First of all the photo of the three doesn’t look like paparazzi photos. Those are photos grabbed in public, often to the consternation of the subject. This photo is studio produced. This photo, is it photoshopped? What isn’t these days? They might not have been photographed together. Don’t know. Second, the photo is an attention grabber. It caught my eye. It doesn’t work for you, but that’s YHO, right?

Bottom line, if they make a good Terminator movie, “They will come.” If the movie is poor, “They won’t come.”

Neil Middlemiss and Tino like this.
  9. Message #49 of 94 Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I think you’re overestimating the relevance of your anecdotal opinions.

In my opinion that is.....:P

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    No it’s not simple math. If they had made a bad film, it wouldn’t have been a hit. Now that is simple. All IMHO, of course.

Tino likes this.
  11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yeah because there was no such things as newspapers and magazines in 1992. :lol:

Nope
    Everyone....Everyone??

This is getting silly. :unsure:

12. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    Movie fans. And no, in 1991 there was only about 30 copies of Starlog that arrived in France. The french magazines only started printing pictures right before the movie came out and after the trailer was out. If you look at how much tickets the movie sold (or the first one, for that matter) 30 copies is a drop in the ocean. That's why it was needed to make the picture public.

Everyone? Yep, every movie buff around. You couldn't find one film fan NOT excited by that Plissken shot.

Regarding the photoshop Terminator image, it's released as a still, when it's really at best a character poster. I think it's clearly made using the Paparazzi's pics because they are exactly similar. The whole point is they managed to kill the positive buzz from the stolen pics, with a totaly blah poster. This does not bode well.

Also we're talking marketing here, not the film. Even if a film is good, it can be killed by bad marketing. It needs to be beyond awesome to bypass bad marketing.

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    You never mentioned you were in France but no matter as your opinions are very subjective as they are your experiences. They are not definitive for everyone.

Josh Steinberg and Johnny Angell like this.
  14. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  15. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Some behind-the-scenes footage from the production in Hungary:

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

What role is Schwarzenegger playing in this film? What role can he play since he was always a Terminator in these films? They are not seriously going to put him into a role as a Terminator?

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Well, he was a terminator in the last one, and he was an older terminator in Genisys.l

18. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Well, I guess now I know why I didn't bother to see Genisys. The premise of an older terminator is illogical as Spock was heard to say on occasion.

19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Actually it wasn’t as it was explained in the film. I thought Genisys was pretty good.

Richard V, Johnny Angell and AshJW like this.
  20. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I'm delighted for any fans who are excited about this movie. Don't get me wrong. Terminator 1 and 2 are two of my favorite movies of all time. I have seen every sequel in the theater. This will be the first I will miss on the big screen. I'm sure I'll see it at home at some point. I still love the first two movies, but I've kind of moved on. I wish Hollywood would.

dpippel likes this.