What's new

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 30th Anniversary (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, although approved by Cameron, the recent 4K was heavily DNR'ed to remove almost any trace of grain. The assumption is that this was done for the 3D conversion and the problem carried through to the UHD release.

Studio Canal has confirmed that their new reissue will feature the same "restoration."
Obviously the honorable thing would be to be ashamed of this 4k version that they have the rights to and not release it. Unfortunately that will not generate them any revenue.

If they wanted to do the right thing on the other hand and produce a new master with grain intact it is possible that they would be contractually obliged to get James Cameron to sign off on it.

As we know from True Lies and the Abyss this can take a decade or two depending on how many deep sea expeditions and Pocahontas in space sequels he wants to finish before getting around to annoying stuff like that.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Wait for what? I don't think this is going to be "fixed" unfortunately..

There are few certainties in life. Terminator 2 getting reissued on home video again at some point in the inevitable future is one of them.

See also: Evil Dead trilogy.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There are few certainties in life. Terminator 2 getting reissued on home video again at some point in the inevitable future is one of them.

See also: Evil Dead trilogy.
One of the other certainties in life is that when T2 gets released again in 4K, it will be the same scrubbed transfer we currently have, and will not be "fixed."

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
So basically this article is just click bait in not mentioning it’s a Region 2 release ??
And you need to buy a region free 3D machine to play it?
And a turntable as well!
Genius!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the Skynet Edition and an earlier version from 2006 on blu ray, I has the impression from the forum members here the Skynet Edition was a less DNR’d version, but I bought that back in 2009 according to the Amazon invoice. I wasn’t aware of the 2015 version.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I have the Skynet Edition and an earlier version from 2006 on blu ray, I has the impression from the forum members here the Skynet Edition was a less DNR’d version, but I bought that back in 2009 according to the Amazon invoice. I wasn’t aware of the 2015 version.

The problem with the Skynet Edition is that it had way too many bonus features crammed onto the same disc as the feature. That pushed the available bit rate way down, which caused the disc producers to apply DNR to filter out grain so it would compress better. The later edition circa 2015 used the same underlying master but with less DNR.

After that came the 3D conversion, for which grain was filtered out again (because grain tends to look bad in 3D). And the eventual 4K UHD used the same source that had been DNR'ed for 3D.

There is still no ideal copy of this movie. The best available is probably the 2015 Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The 2015 "Van Ling Edition" also leaves something to be desired since that transfer was 15 years old by that point.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yet here we are, holding up a 22-year-old transfer as the best that's currently available. It's a crime that a film so influential, so ground-breaking, and so well-regarded has been treated so poorly over the years by the principals involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks