What's new

Terminator 2 HD DVD beats T2 Blu-Ray!? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Right. No studio has a history of reissues moreso than LionsGate. How many versions of Reservoir Dogs, T2, Total Recall, Stargate and Basic Instinct did we see on standard DVD? I'm holding out hope that they'll re-do Total Recall on BD. If it weren't for the pitch problem, I'd buy the HD-DVD in a split second.

I would like to hear more about The Graduate if anyone gets a chance to look at that one. I'd really love to own a better version than the old Polygram DVD I currently have.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sorry Cees. And I even like you too. Just think how DaVid feels. :D...

Yes, Cees deserves the credit. Post #2 is THE post. :D :)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I agree. T2 was one of the "early" Blu-ray-releases and probably somewhat rushed to the markets (like sadly some other titles from the company).

I can´t really see that one French-release with forced subs would be the "high mark" of T2 in HD... ;)

Personally I have seen this film a zillion times, so I can wait for a while. I have literally over 100 DVD/HD-releases on my "to be watched"-pile..

Robert George

Screenwriter

The new Studio Canal HD DVD is easily the best I have ever seen this film look. Of course, anyone who has seen previous video versions of the film will understand that isn't necessarily saying much. The master for this disc is obviously from a later generation element as there is fairly heavy grain and shadow delineation is rather poor. Colors are actually not too bad. Decent saturation and fairly accurate tonal balance, if somewhat inconsistent.

Audio is about what you'd expect from an older film element. Limited range and compressed dynamics. The English track is stereo, but with the DTS-HD encoding, the decoded output from the player if you are using HDMI is 2-channel PCM which most receivers will not apply Pro-Logic decoding to. Strictly 2-channel audio. No center channel. I think I'll try using the S/PDIF output on this one to see how that is.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

The extended cut does NOT have forced subs and everyone that has compared it to the Blu-Ray release says it blows that disc out of the water.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Time to toss my spare change into the discussion.

I think that 'The Graduate' PQ and AQ are quite good. As with most movies of that age and era, a few scenes and set-ups don't dazzle...but I think the overall result is very pleasing, to the point where it's hard to imagine a significantly better result. I have no hesitation recommending the purchase to fans of the film.

Also, my wholehearted endorsement for the French 'T2': splendid transfer on the director's cut. The title, as was pre-ordered, was a single disc. I don't mind that the "single disc" is the director's cut; therefore, the forced subtitles on the theatrical cut are a moot point. I see it as the original offering, especially since the price didn't change with the added disc...not at Xploited Cinema, anyway.

Pete T C

Second Unit

Stop spreading FUD and misinformation. The French Director's Cut disc in the 2-disc set that Robert George rated so highly does NOT have forced subs and further all of the menus are in English... And it significantly better looking than the Blu-Ray disc.

Further, the same Director's Cut disc will be issued in the UK shortly, again without any forced subs.

Pete T C

Second Unit

My sig is still true to this day. HD DVD has had far more consistent quality out of the gate. Now, while Blu-Ray has improved massively in this area we still see tons of featureless BD discs, BD discs still using MPEG2, and just general comparitively poor transfers (most recently, Coming to America and Dirty Dancing).

More features, HD DVD again still offers more than BD. The deadline for support for BD-Live features has been pushed back yet again leaving HD DVD ahead in the interactivity field. And, HD DVD remains the only format with mandatory DD+/DDTHD/DTS-HD in the specs.

Half the price? True again. The HD-A2 can be gotten at Amazon for $250 right now. The cheapest current BD player is $599, and soon Sony will be releasing a $499 player. Once again, HD DVD remains at half the entry price of Blu-Ray. And even at being half the price the players have nextgen audio decoders builtin, secondary video decoder for PiP, and all the interactivity niceities - while comparative BD players do not despite being a lot more money.

So I don't see what is wrong with my sig, though the gap is narrowing IMO HD DVD still has a clear lead in the consistency, interactivity, features, and price departments.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
What is this, AVS all of a sudden...?
PLEASE, let's leave the juvenile crap over there. HTF has always been better than the schoolyard level "nyah! Nyah! My format is better than yours..!" posts that are EVERYWHERE there.

I wish the word "FUD" was just banned from this site.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
True, but can't resist this one then:

I wish the "FUD" was just banned from this site.

:laugh:

Cees

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

"Theatrical version" on "Disc 1" has "forced" subs, I was referring to that. No "FUD" (or whatever) on that. Like with e.g. "Aliens", I want both versions of the film and I like them both (for different reasons).

I never said that Blu-ray-version "looks better" than this HD DVD-version, just that I´m quite sure that T2 will be re-released again in Blu-ray in some way or another.

I also never said that "don´t buy T2 on HD DVD". I´m sure that it´s a good looking release.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Got my copy in from Xploited yesterday (along with The Prestige), and didn't plan to watch it last night, but I did. Nothing much to add to all the already high praise for the disc. Easily the best I've ever seen it look in a home theater setting. I can't see ever buying this title again for a PQ upgrade. I'm not a real audiophile so I'll leave comments as to the surround track to others. To my ears, it sounded just as good as the video looked.
I didn't notice the white clipping that has been mentioned, and there was only one brief shot where I felt the image had too much of an unnatural edgy look to it (a quick establishing pan of Dysons pool and wife sitting on the deck). Other than that I looked for ringing in the Police car seal on the door- a place where its been evident on other releases before, and nothing really leaped out at me. I didn't freeze frame it and study it. Apart from the aforementioned instance, I just didn't find anything in the presentation to pull me out of the movie.

well worth the purchase price, imo.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am looking forward to watching this version of T2 when I get home this weekend and am hoping the initial reports from posters is accurate. I would love to retire my less than stellar Lionsgate BD.

You know, if you have to still frame the film to see PQ issues that are not visible when playing it, they do not matter. Paul, thank you much for the fine update. It justs helps validate my (re)purchase of this great film.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
:emoji_thumbsup: Keep the FUD alive. Without him, we would be over run with wabbits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks