What's new

Terminator 1 & 2 (1 Viewer)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Van Ling
When I do still galleries, I always try to maximize the image size ....

Case in point: Here's a screencap I found of the still galleries on James and the Giant Peach Blu-Ray (Haven't seen the disc myself). Clearly an example of How Not To...

03cf33dd_jamesandthegiantpeach-04.jpg

supersonic395

Auditioning
Real Name
Marlon Kamboh
Has there been any further news on the Terminator 1 Blu Ray?

Also for audio tracks, I know everyone wants a the original 1.0 mono track, but would it be possible to have it as a 1.1 track? I ask because I recently bought the ost and listening to it through my music system, the bass is so awesome (& epic).

DTS HD MA 1.1
DTS HD MA 5.1 (without the new effects though)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Originally Posted by supersonic395
... but would it be possible to have it as a 1.1 track? ...
The original track should be the original track without ANY modifications such as bass enhancement. A DTS-MA 1.0 channel is fully capable of the full frequency response including powerful bass. If your center channel isn't capable of reproducing the bass in the center channel then you should have your receiver's bass management directing those frequencies to your subwoofer.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Drew Cummings, producer of the behind-the-scenes footage during the shooting of The Terminator, replied to that Amazon thread again.
(Nothing new was said, so I'd encourage everyone to resist the urge to join in. I myself am unable to shut up. But, bear in mind that Cummings sued American Idol -- or at least made headlines that he was going to sue them -- when he was denied the opportunity to sing for the judges at an open-call. If he's that easily riled, speaking to him should be done more carefully than it is done with other people.) Here's what he wrote on Amazon today:
"From 1983 to 1989 I produced and own the “Making Of:” series, which includes Robocop, Terminator and roughly 40 other films. I was not hired by the studios and I funded the entire production myself at a time when the studios and directors were reluctant to give away hollywood special effects and stunt secrets on how films were made. I financed the entire series (52 half-hour) episodes, and that is why I own the footage and copyrights on the behind-the-scenes footage. Today, the studios own all of the behind-the-scenes footage from their films in part because I showed them that there was a value for such material.

"I have no aversion to selling or licensing my footage, or for that matter selling the masters and copyrights to the right buyer. I just want a reasonable fee. So far, no studio has made a reasonable offer. The Biography channel just did a two hour “Nightmare On Elm Street” retrospective that was highlighted by talking heads and still photos. It would have been so much more entertaining and interesting to the viewer if it contained actual behind-the-scenes footage of the makeup, special FX, and stunts I own. I didn’t even receive a call from the producers, and MGM is aware of my one hour Nightmare special, as was Warner Bros. who will be releasing the current Nightmare film from 2010. As for the price of the Terminator DVD on Amazon, it is selling quite well, and building every month, as does Robocop, and Nightmare On Elm Street. I am sorry if anyone views the price as too high.

"I plan on releasing more episodes from the series in the next few months. From time to time I will license or even GIVE footage to shows like 60 Minutes if they are paying a tribute to the directors or actors for their scope of work, but I am not prepared to give unique and valuable footage to the studios to add onto their DVD’s without a fair fee. I took the risk of funding the production of the behind-the-scenes footage for my series, and the shows aired the same week the film was released in the theatres, so the studios received nationwide coverage for zero dollars. In some most cases some of the films we covered were so bad we couldn’t even make a licensing deal in the VHS market.

"“The Making Of:” weekly half hour series I started in the 1983 defined a whole new genre called docu-tainment. Subsequently, the studios realized the value of the behind-the-scenes long format shows and specials that I pioneered, and started producing and owning them themselves. All I know is that I am very blessed and have had the opportunity to work with hundreds of actors, directors, FX wizards, and filmmakers on locations around the world, on a weekly series that defined a new form of documentary filmmaking that can be found on every DVD released today."

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
The man owns an IP of value, if he wants to release it on his terms he's right to do so.
It's when people or companies own an IP and refuse to release it EVER (Song of the South, Fantastic Four, Halloween 666) that is immoral and should be discouraged.
It's unfortunate that his Docu-shorts are so poorly sourced and authored, he should take more pride in his work.
But then again Documentaries on DVD are usually treated as little more than things purchased in mass for teaching uses, "Super Size" me was not even 16x9 enhanced.
It's a shame MGM wont sell their recent classics to Criterion again, a Terminator BD in their hands would possibly be of similar quality to the Geneon edition of T2.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I suppose that has been true, FanboyZ, that extras haven't been treated well on DVD. Extras on DVD were usually the most compressed, sometimes looking like UHF channel tuned in poorly. Seems like that trend is ending with BluRay though, for the large part.

supersonic395

Auditioning
Real Name
Marlon Kamboh
Hi Van Ling,

Has there been any news on the Terminator 1 remaster getting released? It seems MGM have sorted out their problems.

Will Terminator 1 be getting a 4k scan and will T2 have the same treatment?

Kind regards,

Van Ling

Insider
Marlon, the hope is that Terminator will get back on track soon... I was put on hold back in 2009 because many of the desired key participants were a bit busy doing stuff like environmentalism, picking up awards and trying to run California; if we're lucky, there might be a chance of a new release later this year. My understanding is that Lightstorm has been working on a Lowry restoration of T1 for a while now.

As for T2, it's owned by an entirely different studio (Studio Canal), so I don't know if there any plans for yet a new disc... but 2011 would be the 20th anniversary of the release of the film, so I would expect that Lionsgate and Studio Canal wouldn't pass up the opportunity. But since JC has final say over any remaster, I reckon it might take longer... especially if it might be in 3D.

Hope this helps,
V

supersonic395

Auditioning
Real Name
Marlon Kamboh
Hi Van Ling,

Many thanks for your reply.

Ah well, fingers crossed for a release this year for T1 (+ the original mono track in lossless audio). Thanks again for the latest on the situation.

Kind regards

Van Ling

Insider
Alisdair, I reckon it's probably the old Blu in new packaging, since I'm still on hold on T1 and have been since 2009; then again, it's entirely possible that they went ahead and had someone else do it. In this business, you never know.

Hope this helps,

V

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
If T2 ever gets a new release, I would like to hear the Original CDS derived soundtrack maybe in place of the Dolby Headphone track so we can compare a home and a cinema mix of the same movie

Also in the new Total Film magazine Lance Henriksen said he just did a commentairy for the Terminator Bluray with Gale Anne Hurd, is the disc closer than MGM are letting on?

Van Ling

Insider
Mike, the commentary that Lance is referring to was actually recorded in early 2009, before we got put on hold. It's only part of a packed audio commentary track I was working on... and I reckon I would have heard about it if they recorded a new one without me, since I've been working with both Lance and Gale on other projects for a while now... ;-)

The CDS track was generated from the same original mix as what was on the early discs... but it would be interesting to compare. Sadly, the large amount of disc space necessary for quality audio encoding like DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD actually poses some big bit-budget challenges on Blu-ray, especially if you have a long film and/or are trying to include other special features. 45Gb sounds like a lot of space on a dual-layer BD, but trust me, it's not... it's tough enough to fit everything on when you just have ONE big multichannel audio track at a decent compression rate, but every track you add just takes away from the encoded picture quality.

Cheers,

V

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
If Lionsgate were really smart they'd port the Video transfer of the Japanese Premium edition of T2 and release it as their "Studio Canal Collection 20th Anniversary Edition".
Include a second disc with the Theatrical Cut and a lossless CDM soundtrack (encoded as DTS HD-MA 5.1)
A Third disc with Van Ling stuff and the longer special edition hidden as an easter egg. Because as it stands Lionsgate really screwed the pooch with the skynet edition. All that Bd-Java live stuff and extended branching made them use a low-bit encode of a DNR defecation.
Obviously they learned their lesson as they had the good sense to put Apocalypse Now on three discs.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Van Ling
Mike, the commentary that Lance is referring to was actually recorded in early 2009, before we got put on hold. It's only part of a packed audio commentary track I was working on... and I reckon I would have heard about it if they recorded a new one without me, since I've been working with both Lance and Gale on other projects for a while now... ;-)

The CDS track was generated from the same original mix as what was on the early discs... but it would be interesting to compare. Sadly, the large amount of disc space necessary for quality audio encoding like DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD actually poses some big bit-budget challenges on Blu-ray, especially if you have a long film and/or are trying to include other special features. 45Gb sounds like a lot of space on a dual-layer BD, but trust me, it's not... it's tough enough to fit everything on when you just have ONE big multichannel audio track at a decent compression rate, but every track you add just takes away from the encoded picture quality.

Cheers,

V
Thanks Van, thats good to know I knew that you would have been involved with it, is it an edited commentary or a group one?
I would be happy if the CDS original mix was just a 5.1 lossy mix as was used for the 4.0 70mm mixes on the Alien Blu releases
Just for archiving purposes I just preffer the mix and it would be great to retire my laserdiscs finally!
The remix for the SE laserdiscs (and everything since) improved a lot but made a few things worse, its an odd mix as a whole

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Thanks Van. I'm sure you'll be the first to let us know when the new Terminator Blu-ray ramps up again.

supersonic395

Auditioning
Real Name
Marlon Kamboh
Along with the (hopefully) lossless original mono track, is there a possibility that T1 would get a new 5.1 mix?

Hopefully one that would more closely resemble the original mono track. Not just for the sound effects, but often in the current 5.1 mix the music isn't quite loud enough in the mix, whereas in the original mono track the music is quite prevalent. (E.g. when Reese knocks out the officer guarding him in the police station scene, the Terminator theme is loud in the original track, but muted in the 5.1 mix).

Also, in the scenes when we're shown the Terminator's perspective, in the original mono track, there was a notable "flange" effect which isn't present in the 5.1 mix, and the original effect coming through all the speakers would sound awesome.

NagysAudio

Auditioning
Real Name
Norbert
Hello Mr. Ling,
I've been a long time follower of this thread. The Terminator is one of my favorite films of all time and certainly the remastered version will be a day one purchase for me. It's been a few months since the last update and I was just wondering if you had any news on when we can finally get this extremely anticipated Blu-Ray? If you don't mind elaborating on the situation a little, are they just waiting for Jim Cameron's final approval, or are there other obstacles? Thank you for taking your time to post on this forum and for engaging and updating us fans.
Norbert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks