Terminating wires after running them through the wall

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dan Flarida, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dan Flarida

Dan Flarida Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I am almost done with my basement home theater build and need to make a few decisions on the in-wall wiring. I have all of my equipment in a closet, except for a Playstation and X-Box which are going to be sitting on the other side of the room from the closet next to a subwoofer.

I am planning to run the following cables out of the closet, across the ceiling, and down through the wall to come out behind my subwoofer:

- single RCA cable for the sub
    - two sets of component video for the game systems
    - two extra sets of stereo RCA cables (spares)
    - S-video cable (spare)
    - two network cables
    - one phone cable

The games will be sitting on a table or cabinet of some sort along with the phone, but I don't think this table will hide all of the wiring coming out of the wall.

Any idea on how to bring all of this out of the wall without having a bundle of wire and a mess? I am buying ready made cables, so terminating the bare cables on site into a panel of some kind isn't an option.

Any help will be appreciated!

Dan

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You can use a blank outlet cover with a large hole in the middle of it to attractively get the cables out of the wall. From that point, you can use ty-wraps on the whole cable bundle, spaced every foot or so.

Alternately, you could start the ty-wraps at the equipment end after everything is connected. In this case each cable would be added to the bundle - i.e., the bundle would probably start small and increase in size as each new cable joined the bundle. Any per-cable excess slack could be pushed back into the wall. The result is a nice, neat bundle from the wall to the equipment.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Brian Holt

Brian Holt Auditioning

Follow up question.
    I was thinking of mounting a 7:1 stereo plate on the wall, as found on ebay(cant post the link due to my low post #s). Would it be better to have a continuous cable from the tuner to the speaker, instead of 2 cables- one from tuner to wall plate, one from wall plate to speaker?

4. Dan Flarida

Dan Flarida Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. I thought of that idea, but was hoping to get a few more opinions on other ideas. I am going to go ahead with the hole in the outlet cover, and also cover the wires up with some Techflex sleeving from work.

Dan

5. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Any connectors added into a cable will degrade it's performance to some extent. If I was an audiophile, the first thing I would do is solder the wire directly to the terminals in the speakers, and on the output of the amp. In the end it comes down to how much you value aeshetics vs audio quaility. I will probably terminate mine at wall plates, when I run wires in my theater. (which is still in the demolition stage). Also, If your running a lot of wires from one location to one other location, I would put in a conduit so you could run others in the future. It's more money upfront, but would be well worth it in the long term.

6. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

If you want a clean look, use the mounting plates. I did the same thing in my house.

Look at partsexpress.com. I have a 4-way binding post plate (4 pairs) behind the tv/stereo stuff that connects to the 7.1 surrounds. I also have a single RCA jack next to it for the sub.

If you have coax inwall for the sub, you'll need to get the F to RCA adapter and blank cable outlet wallplates. The surround speaker jackplate is just 4 sets of 5 way binding post wall plate jacks, an 8 way plate module and the matching blank plate.

I have 1-pair 5 way binding plates where the wires come out to the surrounds, then I run i short piece of wire from the plate to the speaker.

You can get those surround plates pre-built at like radio shack/Bestbuy/CC for around $30. The 1 pair plates are $10 usually.

I built my own for much less with parts from partsexpress.