What's new

Terminating coax with in-wall RCA jacks (1 Viewer)

Jarrod

Agent
We're currently remodeling and upgrading our home theater. Before we put fresh paint on the walls, I want to put in a new box and pull some coax and speaker cable from this area to various locations on second floor.

I am looking for a wall plate solution that takes F-connectors on the wall side (I already have all the tools to crimp F-connectors on the ends of the coax) and takes that to RCA jacks on the room side.

The Leviton ones I've seen in stores and online take RCA on the wall side. I could use those and do F-to-RCA adapters inside the wall but that is less clean and more costly.

Does anybody know of an in-wall RCA jack that takes F-connectors directly?

Thanks

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

That is the exact part i used when hooking up my sub in my new house. Works perfectly.

Jarrod

Agent
Justin,

Did you use their wallplate insert system or did you use this connector in a different insert? It looks like this might be compatible with other wallplate systems on the market (like the Leviton and other brands that have interchangeable snap-in modules).

Thanks,

Jarrod

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
Jarrod,

All I did was buy 2 of those adapters. Then i used some of the wall plates for cable connetors (basically a blank with 1 hole in it). Then just screw the adapter in that hole.

Terminate the coax in the wall with a screw on or crimp on F-Connector and hook it to the finished plate. Put the plate on teh wall and plug in the rca from the receiver.

Also, if you don't have an electrical box where you cable comes out, but one of those false box adapters so you can screw your plate to it.

It's a simple 3 minute job. I didn't use those expensive leviton snap in sets. They charge way too much for them.

Jarrod

Agent

True, but the nice thing is they allow you to snap in RJ45 jacks alongside your A/V connections if you need that. This is why I was asking the question.

We have an electrical supply house here in Nashville that sells a line similar to the Leviton QuickPort stuff, but at about half the price. I've used this system in some existing applications that required binding posts, RJ11 and RJ45 in the same plate. But not for RCA jacks (and the RCA jacks they have are RCA-to-RCA).

So I was thinking about getting some of these F-to-RCA connectors and a bag of the snap-in clips from parts express, and then plugging them into this wall plate system I can get locally. It sounds like they are the right size for this since you used them in one of those cable TV plates.

Just thinking aloud...thanks for the input.

Bobby C

Stunt Coordinator
Jarrod - do you know the name of the supplier that makes those Leviton-type supplies? I'm looking for something like that now.
Thanks,
Bob

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
Jarrod, If they have the rca to rca posts and you can remove them, you can probably replace them with teh partexpress F to RCA.

Note: teh ones at parts express have the hex nut shape in the middle which helps when screwing them into the plate so you can get them tight. I couldnt find the blank cable port plates that had the hex, just the round hole, but it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks