1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Teresa Strasser leaves While You Were Out

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by John Madia, Jul 26, 2003.

1. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I'm not sure how many people in this forum watch While You Were Out but it might be of interest to some that Teresa Strasser has left the show. Full story at:
    http://www.teresastrasser.com/pages/goodbye.html

The new host is Evan Farmer. Personally, I like While You Were Out better than Trading Spaces and will miss Teresa. She's part of what made the show work. For example, her quick wit was on display yesterday when she told the guy that hated his new deck that her name was Paige Davis.

Still, I can totally understand her getting burned out (50 episodes in one season!) and don't understand why WYWO didn't just rotate two hosts in the first place. Not many people can take that kind of schedule without getting burnt out.

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I don't blame her. I wonder how had to do with the schedule, and how much had to do with working with Chase, Leslie and Andrew.

3. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

From the articles I've read and episodes I've seen, it appeared that Teresa and the entire staff were good friends. I'll take her word for it and believe that it was due to burn out and wanting to pursue other television and writing products. Plus, I don't think she wanted to be typecast as the WYWO girl.

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

There was a blonde lady who did her chores before her. I've seen her on commercials from time to time. What was her situation as to why she left the show?

5. Charles Guajardo

Charles Guajardo Stunt Coordinator

maybe she'll follow in the phenomenally successful footsteps of Alex MacLeod, who left Trading Spaces to utter one line in each Joe Millionaire episode.

6. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

According to what I found on a message board, the official reason the orginal host (Anna Bocci) left was because she just got married and wanted to spend more time with her husband. I've never seen any of her episodes and I don't think TLC reruns them. I've never seen any of Alex MacLeod's episodes either. Based on her IMDB bio, I'm guessing Teresa fairs better than Alex since she's able to write as well as act.

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I have seen some Alex MacLeod episodes of Trading Spaces. They show very rarely, and mostly during the weekday afternoon timeslot. I bet the same thing will happen to Teresa's While You Were Out episodes.

8. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the reason that they rarely show Alex Mcleod episodes is because she did not leave Trading Spaces on the best of terms. As for Teresa it seems she is not leaving on bad terms, just a personal decision. If that is the case I think there would be no problems airing her episode. Plus, 50 episodes is a good quite a lot of show, the show has not been on that long, so that has got to be a good portion the who series.

9. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

10. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Joh,

Funny you should mention not seeing the earlier episodes of the two shows. I've seen both in recent weeks! They ran plenty of the Alex shows last season until they built up enough of the newer ones with Davis. Both shows have extensive repeats during weekdays.

Peter

11. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I just found out on Friday that they show TS/WYWO on weekdays so that's probably why I've never seen any earlier episodes. [​IMG]

I like Leslie but from what I've seen on the show she might be too shy to be the host. I don't think they wanted her or ADJ for the host anyway because it seems they wanted someone with little if any home improvement background.

12. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I just read that a full season of WYWO is 60 episodes! That is a lot of shows.

There are some other cast changes that are going to take place, I'll put them is spoilers:Peter BonSey and Mayito Dinos will not be back for season two. Stephen Saint-Onge's plans are still up in the air.

I'm disappointed that Peter and Mayito are not coming back and if they also lose Stephen they will be down to just two designers.
    I'm not certain I'll return with all of the changes that are taking place.

13. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

14. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Has anyone ever seen the person miss the final qustion? It seems like people give the most off the wall answers and of course they are always right. I think they rig it with several answers so it looks good on TV.

15. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

16. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

The whole article for some of the changes made for season 2 is located here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jul23.html

I was wrong about the season length which is indeed 60 episodes. I got mixed up because Teresa did 50 and I forgot about the other 10.

Even with the changes I'll still be watching. I'll see how the new host and designers gel with each other and the rest of the cast and then make a decision on the show.

17. clemente

clemente Agent

I seen a few of the Anna Bocchi episodes on the weekday re-runs and I have to say I really enjoyed them. What they lack is a full season of chemistry between the crew (she only did the first 10 episodes) Andrew and Leslie don't seem as playful as the do in later episodes. But Bocchi's host work was pretty damn good, and dare I say I enjoyed it more than Strasser's work.

It's a shame that some of the designers will be leaving, but I see its the two garden designers and for the most part, I don't enjoy the garden makeovers as entertaining. I do like John Bruce a lot and Chayse is entertaining only to see her and ADJ tussle.

18. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I noticed that they reran an Anna Bocchi episode last week but was only able to catch the first five minutes or so. I'm interested in seeing them so I'll check to see if they're running any this week. I did catch an Alex McLeod episode of Trading Spaces though. It's interesting to see how the show evolved. The episode practically screamed "daytime television" and I'm glad they made changes in the production/editing department.

As for Season 2 of WYWO...

I guess they'll be getting a new garden designer. I only saw one episode with Mayito so I can't really comment on her but I liked Peter Bonsey, especially his chemistry with Teresa. Of course, it seems like the main reason he incorporates water features in his designs is just so he can stick his head in. [​IMG] Chase/Andrew always made good television so it'll be sad to see her leave. I am interested in seeing the new designers though. Not so interested in seeing the new host. Call me sexist but I rather have a female host. Still, I'll give him a shot.

19. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

The new season of WYWO premiered today and here's a few quick thoughts:

- First off, the new host. Considering it's Evan Farmer's first episode, it's kind of hard to tell how he'll turn out. I did like him more as the show progressed which is a good sign but I do think he needs work on his voice overs. I'll reserve judgement until he has a few more episodes under his belt.

- The new music is AWFUL and not only switches tone but also seemingly switched genres throughout the show. Hopefully they'll get it right in future episodes.

- The pretentious grainy transitions don't work for me.

- If you're changing things then why not the opening sequence? The style's fine but how about using actors who are actually on the show?

- I know it doesn't really matter on these types of shows but the cameraman was seen way too often tonight.

- Is Chasye still with the show or not?

- Leslie taunting Evan with the "too hot" shirt was pretty darn funny. [​IMG]

Overall, the show definitely had a different feel than when Teresa hosted it. Not a bad feel, just different. I think it'll remain enjoyable other than the quibbles discussed above. We'll have to see how Evan turns out but for now it seems like he'll work. That music really needs to go though.

20. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter