What's new

Terence Malick's "The New World" Being Filmed in 70mm? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
A report from in70mm.com:

IMDB Lists the following actors:

Christian Bale....John Rolfe
Colin Farrell....JohnSmith
Michael Greyeyes....Wobblehead
Q'Orianka Kilcher....Pochahontas
Christopher Plummer....Capt. Christopher Newport
August Schellenberg....Powhatan
among others.

No little talking animals.

More info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402399/

Scheduled for release next year.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Wow... it sounds like this could be something special. I see from IMDb that it will be shot by Emmanuel Lubezki, whose work on Sleepy Hollow I loved.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Wow? What was the last film to be made in 70mm? The only one I can think of was the full-length Hamlet.

Will be interesting to see. Definitely a big screen film.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
70 mm! Much more interesting to me than the "shot in digital" news we see these days.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I’m glad you said that. I hope this production encourages classic true filmmaking to be in vogue again.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
70mm doesn't mean a film will be "classic". During the heyday of 70mm in the 60s and 70s there were a lot of clunkers made in the large format process. It's still up to the creative people - director, script, actors, cinematography, etc.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Malick's last movie was The Thin Red Line, and he's got other talented people working with him. Talented enough that the movie should at least look gorgeous enough to remind anyone who sees it just how good film can look.

I'm already hoping for this to show up at Brookline's Coolidge Corner Theater, where I saw 2001 in 70mm a couple years ago.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Obviouisly Malick can direct good-looking films. The Thin Red Line was moderately successful. I'll wait and see I guess before passing judgement. Hopeful would be the term I'd use for the film. It will interesting to see how many 70mm playdates there really are. I'll bet most of the release prints will be in 35mm albeit looking really good. There's just not enough theatres left that can play large format films. I sincerely hope it isn't IMAXized!(and I don't mean reviewed by Max Kellerman).

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Seattle has at least 3 70mm venues: The EGYPTIAN, The GUILD 45TH, and the mighty C I N E R A M A .

Any word on this film's cinematographer?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Cinematographer as listed at the IMDB link posted above is:

Emmanuel Lubezki

3 venues in one city do not make for a national release. You're lucky there are those theatres but I seriously doubt the film would play at all of 'em.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, but it does indicate that most larger cities do have at least one venue that can project 70mm film, and I imagine it's pretty likely that most of them will attempt to book this feature.

Will every market get a 70mm print? No, they probably won't. My old hometown of Portland, ME, for instance, will probably have to settle for 35mm (although I do remember Baraka playing there in 70mm). But I think most places that have 70mm-capable screens will get it, and there are probably more of those than people might at first suspect. Ironically, it'll probably be the 25+ year-old cinder block theaters rather than the new, all-stadium-seating megaplexes.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Does anyone know of any 70mm venues in the Atlanta area? I'm ashamed to admit it but I've never seen a 70mm presentation and I would really love to see this one.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

I didn't mean to imply it would play at all 3. :) But I think it's fair to assume we'll get one 70mm print in town. The mighty CINERAMA almost always shows blockbusters, but the other 2 are arthouse theaters. Of course, if the movie opens in late spring, while the Seattle Intl Film Festival is in session, it just might play at our -Rama.

Jason,

I don't find it at all ironic that 70mm venues are older. The new stadium seating multiplexes are pretty much crapboxes IMO.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, the vintage 1970-1990 places I was thinking of are pretty much crapboxes with center aisles where the good seats should be and no amenities. I think it would be kind of ironic-funny if, in order to see this in 70mm, I had to bypass the Loews Boston Common and AMC Fenway theaters and head out to Showcase's Cleveland Circle or Loews's Fresh Pond place because those soulless hunks of concrete are old enough to have a 70mm projector installed, even if it's been gathering dust since Far And Away.

Of course, in Boston, we've got the Coolidge, and I seem to recall that Landmark Kendall Square showed Hamlet in 70mm, though they may have rented the equipment just for that run.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
To my knowledge there are only two possible 70mm Atlanta venues:

The Fox Theatre - Definitely has 70mm projection as I saw 2001 there 2 years ago and they played Lawrence there last year. However, the Fox only shows movies during the Summer as part of their "Coca-Cola Movie Series" and each movie only has one showing so it would seem an unlikely venue to play this unless we get a general run in 35mm multiplexes and then a one-time 70mm showing in the Summer.

Tara - I saw Lawrence in 70mm there in '98 or '99, but the theater has changed ownership and been remodeled since then so I have no idea if they still have their 70mm projector. Also I'm pretty certain they haven't showed anything in 70mm since so perhaps they rented the projector for that event and they don't actually own one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks