Terence Malick Special Editions?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Drew Reiber, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

With the upcoming release of Terence Malick's The New World for New Line (November 2005), does anyone know if/when/how there might be plans for special editions of Warner's Badlands, Paramount's Days of Heaven and/or Fox's The Thin Red Line which are all currently bare bones? Thanks.

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

love to see an SE and remaster of DAYS OF HEAVEN

3. Frank M

Frank M Stunt Coordinator

The european RC2 DVD of Badlands has an interesting new 23-minute documentary called "Absence of Malick" which contains interviews with Martin Sheen, Sissy Spacek and her husband Jack Fisk (production designer on all Malick films).

Terrence Malick never gives interviews. He doesn't even allow pictures of himself to be published.

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Well, he made an exception once.

[​IMG]

5. Eric Chang

Eric Chang Stunt Coordinator

i'd love to see a SE of the thin red line

6. DanRevill

DanRevill Agent

My friend had heard that there was an extended ed of The Thin Red Line coming. I figured this was wishful thinking on his part. I'd love to see it, but I thought I'd just double check around here. My search of the forum didn't really turn up anything.

7. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I remember seeing an HBO behind-the-scenes type thing on THE THIN RED LINE that showed Mallick working on set. He wasn't interviewed for it, true, but he was videotaped behind-the-scenes.

Also re: him not allowing himself to be photographed- doesn't he have a small speaking part in BADLANDS?

There's so much extra material for THE THIN RED LINE, I'd almost like to see Mallick cut an entirely new film consisting of out-takes and call it THIN RED LINE REDUX or something, and leave the current film alone, then release the two of them as a DVD set. He could certainly do it with all the stuff he shot and didn't use (i.e., in the original version, Adrien Brody was supposedly the main character, and in the final cut he gets what, about 5 lines of dialogue?).

Vincent

8. AlexHL

AlexHL Stunt Coordinator

9. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Apparently Malick shot a million feet of film in Queensland alone, he could put together a very long cut if he wanted. I think the film as it is is great.

10. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I read that his rough cut was 6-hours in length. He cut whole characters from the final cut of the film- check the "thank you" credits at the end, and you'll see the names of a bunch of the actors who were cut out of THE THIN RED LINE.

Vincent

11. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

I'd love to see an SE of The Thin Red Line more than anyone, but I've started to get more realistic about the prospect; Malick avoids special features, and I don't think the 6 hour cut was intended for release.

Prove me wrong, Fox!

12. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Obviously, the 6 hour cut wasn't intended for release- it was Mallick's first cut of the film. The point is, he pretty much cut the film in half. I have to think that edited material isn't BAD- it's probably as good as what ended up in the final film, and could probably make an interesting film on its own [​IMG]

On a somewhat related note, a 4-hour cut of THE THIN RED LINE was screened for exhibitors some months prior to the film's official theatrical release. When we were doing test screenings of DOGMA, the projectionist told me about what a nightmare it was assembling the reels for that interlocked-sound* screening of the 4-hour workprint.

Vincent

* Sound seperate from the film itself on 35mm magnetic sound stock

13. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

you know what i never understood...it is said that it was under his contract that no pictures would be released of him during the thin red line period...but why do we have that picture that's been broadcast to death? i mean, that's the image that was on screen at the oscars when they announced his nomination! and i was under the impression it was taken from the set of the movie...

sorry, i digress.

but back to the topic...i highly doubt we'll ever see special editions. he strikes me as the type who would actually have a say as to what features, if any, will be allowed on the dvd...and judging from his ultra-private lifestyle, he seems to be going the "let it speak for itself" route.

14. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

To me, a special edition Malick film would be a painstaking remaster of all three films with, at the very least, scholar and/or cast/crew commentaries. Throw in some trailers and you've got what is relatively known as a Terrence Malick Ultimate Edition.

I would buy all three of them - hell, maybe even two or three copies for friends. And they would be the three most-watched discs in my library, which is the title that my current bare-bones editions hold.

Six-hour The Thin Red Line? I'd love to see it, but I consider the current cut a masterpiece of the highest order. That said, if Malick showed it at four hours he must have liked that cut of the film, and that's a cut I'd like to see. It's probably the same film plus another 70-80 minutes relating to Adrien Brody's character.

I heard that most of the cuts were made at the end of the film - it was originally intended to continue a fair ways afterwards, until Malick cut the final act out and restructured the film to make it work around Jim Caviezel's character.

Maybe the upcoming The New World will have more features. If you guys go take a look at the official website, you will find a wealth of information about the film. After being used to slim production information on these films, it seems like a veritable feast! There might even be behind-the-scenes featurettes for download.

P.S. For anyone who is interested, I have a copy of The New World's production notes, which is a lot of information on the filmmakers, the production's history, and details about the film. There's no Malick quotes, but there are quotes from everyone else involved, from the DP Emmanuel Lubezki to Jack Fisk and the stars. If you want a copy I can email it to you, just send me a message. It's nothing illegally gotten, just a lucky find!

15. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Elijah Sullivan,

you have a PM.

And I fully agree with your assessment of Thin Red Line. No addition or tinkering of footage could possibly make that film any better. What I would like to see is 3 hours of deleted material on a second disc. If there will ever be any Malick special editions, they would be released either now or at the dvd release of New World, and since there've been no announcements or rumblings, I guess it will never happen.

Regards,
    Nathan

16. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Since Criterion is currently releasing titles from Fox, I'd love to see a deluxe CC edition of The Thin Red Line. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening.

17. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I suppose Malick is just enough of a pragmatist about the film business to agree that there needs to be one updated photograph for general consumption. As opposed to, say, the even more reclusive record producer (and Mr. Shania Twain) "Mutt" Lange, who has managed to buy off almost every single photograph he's been in.

18. Richard>S

Richard>S Extra

Unfortunately me neither, but of the more 'mainstream' titles that could be considerated by Criterion this has got to rank right up there.
    Plenty of additional footage, a 1964 version and of course all being based upon a novel by James Jones, certainly sounds like something Criterion could work with [​IMG]