What's new

Tequila Sunrise- an underrated gem! (1 Viewer)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello all,
I recently watched my dvd of this great film again a couple days ago and almost forgot just how good it is. I found that it was well written & directed by Robert Towne, a superb cast including two late great character actors J.T. Walsh and Raul Julia who always were reliable too watch. Michelle Pfeiffer is luminous, Mel Gibson is quite the opposite of his Martin Riggs persona, (this film was released a year after LETHAL WEAPON and one year before number 2) and Kurt Russell is the slick, dedicated narcotics detective. Conrad L. Hall's photography makes the L.A. locations look amazing (especially chapter 12)while Dave Grusin's jazzy score perfectly captures the right mood and feel for the appropriate scene. I guess the only mistake Warner made, was advertising the movie as an action film when it's definately a drama. Anyone else feel the same way?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I quite agree that Tequila Sunrise is a gem, but why do you think it is underrated? I think it got good reviews when it came out, and Robert Towne (of Chinatown fame) is not exactly disliked by the critics.
If it did not make zillions of $$ at the box office, well, very few intelligent films do...
Ted

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, the film got mixed reviews when it came out. I went to see the film in the theaters (based solely on the fact that it was Robert Towne) but I remember being disappointed when I saw it. My memory is really hazy as to why I didn't like it, I know that I wasn't expecting an action film so that's not the reason. Maybe I should check it out again and give it another try.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello Jay,
By all means you should take another look at it. Like basically all movies, you need to be in the right mood when you start watching it. Let me know what you think if you decide to one day. Apparently the commentary track with producer Thom Mount is very dull, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm ashamed to say I've never seen this film, but it certainly looks good on paper (i.e. great cast and crew).

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
This movie grows on you. The first time through I thought it was very boring. Now I love it.

Interesting note: Harrison Ford was originally going to play Mel Gibson's part, he backed out late because apparently got cold feet playing somewhat of a bad guy.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I remember loving this movie right up to the ending, then being disappointed. Sharp dialogue, style to spare & Raul Julia's memorable line (to Mel Gibson), "You're a champion f**ker". The whole movie however doesn't amoung to much by the end; it's much ado about nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks