Tensioned or not tensioned pull down screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Fla, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Chris Fla

Chris Fla Auditioning

Due to my room setup, I must go with a pull down style screen. From searching through old posts here I see that some people regret getting a manual pull down due to waves or ripples in the screen which produce shadows. I would like to know how common this problem is because a tensioned screen is definitely beyond my budget. I want to hear about your experiences (good and bad) on this. Tell me which make and model you used. Maybe some are better than others? I read some are backed with fiberglass. Does that help? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

I use the Da-Lite matte white 67" x 38" 16:9 (Model B) that came bundled with my Panasonic PT-L200U. It is as bare-bones as you can get in a pull down screen. I do not notice any waves or ripples. Maybe a larger screen would be more susceptible to these problems. I have it mounted to pull down in front of my RPTV, so it gets rolled up after each use. In the 6-1/2 weeks I have had it I would estimate that it has been pulled down/rolled up around 45 times (just about every day).