1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tenneesse Tuxedo - No Theme Song or Credits

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric_Bee, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Stunt Coordinator

While I'm grateful to have 15 episodes of this on Sony Wonder's new release, Classic Media (www.classicmedia.tv) really messed up. There are no opening credits, no closing credits, and no theme song. This show had a terrific theme song - where else could you hear Don Adams sing? Gord and David, can you find out why these are being released this way?

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Holy--! And this was one of the main cartoons I wanted on dvd. I'm not even getting it without the theme song, and that's that! Sony does it again.

3. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    They should have released a complete set, not a best of in the first place and I am getting worried what with these best of Rocky & Bullwinkle and the missing Magoo and Harveytoons sets. Their business practices have gone down hill too much recently for me to have faith in them.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I already ordered this from Amazon, but will be shipping it back unopened for a refund. How pathetic. [​IMG]

5. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Tennessee Tuxedo episodes part of "The Underdog Show"? Didn't the Underdog Show also contains cartoons of The Go Go Gophers, Commander McBride and others? Even though I totally loved The Underdog Show with all these other shows contained within it, I refuse to buy the Underdog set as they only contain Underdog episodes (and incomplete episodes, might I add), the same as I won't buy this lame Tennesee Tuxedo set. Apparently Sony doesn't understand the needs and wants of the baby boomer generation that grew up with these shows. Either release the show the way it was shown on TV or don't release them all. Part of the fun was the original theme music, intros, "scenes from our next episode", etc. I want to experience the nostalgia of this show the way I remember it, not some new hatchet job that gives us incomplete portions of each individual show. Thumbs down...Now that we've seen how bad these releases have been, I wonder just how badly they'll release the Go Go Gophers and Commander McBride episodes?

6. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Not just Boomers, mind you - they totaly hosed fans of Ghostbusters with those overpriced (per episode) best of releases.

No, they just dont get that Adults want cartoons too.

7. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Underdog was its own show (according to tontracker.com it aired with reruns of King Leonardo,The World of Commander McBragg and new Klondike Kat and The Go-Go Gophers), but later in syndication got mixed up with two other shows, Tennessee Tuxedo and his Tales (with either new episodes of The World of Commander McBragg and Klondike Kat or reruns of The Hunter and Tooter Turtle from King Leonardo) and King Leonardo & his Short Subjects (with new episodes of The Hunter, Tooter Turtle and Twinkles), also in other situations some Jay Ward stuff got mixed in. This was done in a bit of a mess and some episodes of all were not in the main package. The old Underdog DVDs did have a few of the other shorts on them, not mixed in but thrown in as bonus. This is how things were done before TV Shows on DVD took off, releases should not be like this. They should be boxsets, season sets if possible, as complete as possible, in order intended, made or aired if possible..

http://www.toontracker.com/totaltv/tennesse.htm
    http://www.toontracker.com/totaltv/kingodie.htm
    http://www.toontracker.com/totaltv/underdog.htm

8. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I have this DVD and I agree, Classic Media dropped the ball here. It is true that all 15 of the cartoons are missing their title cards (I believe the masters were taken from a foreign TV syndication package).

But the show opening and closing are here, and in cleaner quality than what is seen on TV (when the show does appear in reruns). However, the audio has been changed. It is not a new recording; in fact, the audio track you'll hear is original and was made for the show, but it's not the version we are familiar with. In the early days of the show, there was a different recording of the theme song used, with a group of voices singing the song and a Hispanic voice singing "Si-si-si, Tennessee Tuxedo." (Get it?) This was changed during the original network run to have the Tennessee and Chumley characters singing the song. The DVD version is not exactly as aired (any version), but it is a vintage recording. The DVD also has audio outtakes of the TV theme song recording session as a bonus, which I think is certainly worth having, but again, I agree that they messed up on the presentation overall.

Also, some history on these cartoons and the various repackagings, which can be confusing:

"Tennessee Tuxedo And His Tales" premiered in 1963. The original supporting cartoons were "The King And Odie" and "The Hunter." These were both shown in new episodes (first shown on TT&HT) continuing from the previous Total TV series "King Leonardo And His Short Subjects."

The following year, "The Underdog Show" premiered. "The Hunter" moved from Tuxedo to Underdog, and repeated segments of "Tooter Turtle" (also from KL&HSS) replaced The Hunter on TT&HT. (No "new" Tooter cartoons were produced.) After that it gets a little murky. "Go Go Gophers" was a new segment on "Underdog," and even at that time they were mixing Jay Ward cartoons in ("Aesop & Son" used to alternate with "Go Go Gophers"). Still later, there was a syndicated version in the mid-1960s called "Cartoon Cut-Ups," which featured Underdog, Tuxedo and Commander McBragg (this is the basis for the current "Underdog" syndicated package, which is sort of a "cut-up" version of "Cartoon Cut-Ups"). Anyway, this is the Cliff's Notes version.

9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

It gets murkier in the 70s; I was about 5 in 1970 and we had an Underdog show here that also ran Tennessee Tuxedo, and sometimes mixed with Tom Slick and Super Chicken. Tooter was seen on that show, as were Uncle Waldo and god knows what else.

10. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Stunt Coordinator

Odd question here - Howard Stern has said his dad's work as a recording engineer included recording episodes of Tennessee Tuxedo. The DVD includes outtakes of the theme song, with a recording engineer heard during the takes giving a "30 seconds" cue. Based on hearing Howard's father on his show, the engineer's voice does sound like him; of course, it probably also sounds like 1 million other men with New York accents. Does anyone know if that is Howard Stern's father heard on the outtakes?

11. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

>

Interesting. I'll bet that was a unique compilation put together by your local station back then. The reason I say that is because for all those years, General Mills controlled (and still controls) nearly all the Jay Ward and Total TV cartoons, but since "George Of The Jungle" was produced after the General Mills/Jay Ward relationship ended, ABC ended up retaining the TV rights and later on, after the ABC properties went to Worldvision, Worldvision distributed "George Of The Jungle." The rest of the Ward/TTV properties were distributed by a company called P.A.T. Film Services (now DFS/Program Exchange). As far as any theoretical DVD releases, I believe Classic Media would have those rights (including "George"). But it's a different story for TV.

Around 1974, we had a "homegrown" show on Channel 32 in Chicago called "Cartoon Circus," which began with a Bob Clampett "Beany & Cecil" cartoon, followed by the three segments of the "George Of The Jungle" show (George Of The Jungle/Tom Slick/Super Chicken). I think that lasted about a year. WFLD-Channel 32 made up their own opening for the show on videotape which had cut-out drawings of the characters on a merry-go-round. (I was about 7 at the time and I thought this was all supposed to be part of one show.)

12. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

So, this new Tennessee Tuxedo set announced. Is it just Tennessee or are the other complimentary cartoons from the show included as well?

13. cliff mac

cliff mac Insider
    Insider

Yes and No.... in syndication TT had a lot of Jay Ward cartoons mixed in. Those will not be in the set because they are part of ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE. We will be adding bonus cartoons of TOOTER THE TURTLE, THE HUNTER, KING AND ODIE and KLONDIKE KAT.

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Thanks for clarifing that Cliff. Will these all be different from the supporting cartoons on the Underdog set or will there be some repeats?