What's new

TENMA Digital SPL Meter vs. Radio Shack SPL Meter (1 Viewer)

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I have the following SPL meter that was given to me. I was wondering how it compared to the Radio Shack SPL meter and it being digital would it work okay with my AVIA DVD?
There are 2 things that I question. The frequency response only measures down to 30hz, that won't be low enough, but I couldn't find the specs on the Radio Shack model so I don't know if it measures lower. The other is the accuracy, is +/-2dB acceptable?
Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.
Guy Kuo, I'd really like your response if possible.
Thanks,
SP
72-860.jpg
72-860 $149.00
Digital Sound Level Meter
Features:
A and C weighting
35~130dB measurement
2 ranges
Meets IEC 651 type 2 standards
3 1/2 digit LCD display
1/2" condenser microphone
Fast and slow dynamic response
Over and under range indicator
Maximum level hold
Internal oscillator for calibration
AC and DC signal output
Includes owners manual, 9V battery, carrying case, wind screen and adjustment screwdriver
Specifications:
Range 35~90dB (low), 75~130dB (high)
Resolution 0.1dB
Frequency range 30Hz~12KHz
Accuracy ±2.0dB at 1KHz (94dB level)
AC output 0.65V RMS corresponding to each range step
DC output 10mV/dB nominal
Dimensions 2 5/8" (W) x 9 1/2" (L) x 1" (H)
Weight 8 oz.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
For that price, I'm surprised that the frequency range is that restricted. You may have some difficulty working on your subwoofer calibration. Overall, absolute SPL accuracy in the midrange is probably okay, but again I'd have expected more for the price. It will still work more precisely than doing things by ear. I'm just not terribly convinced you'll be getting your money's worth.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Thanks Guy,

It was free from dad. He had it way back when. He got it from his work, free as well. I found some info on the RS analog meter and it stated it rolls off at 35hz. Wouldn't there be problems with sub calibrations with it as well?

I'm not concerned with spending enough for a RS analog if it would be better, but I can't prove to myself that the specs and functions on the RS analog are better than these.

I want to have what is right to do the job with (between these two that is).

Thanks again,

SP

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Most of the roll off is intentional to make the SPL meters match the desired weighting curves. The RS meter has a pretty well known amount of roll off so you can easily calculate a compensation. The Tenma may have similar response as it is likely to have the same type of weighting built into its filters. Unfortunately, I don't recall anyone ever publishing correction factors for the Tenma.

Since the price is right, I'd simply just use the Tenma and get a RS meter only if the results seem pretty whacked. The main thing is to get the main speakers in balance with each other and you'll do that fine with the Tenma. Setting the sub might be a bit more of a guess, but truth is a lot of people don't set the sub so it's completely balanced with the mains anyway.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I've been reading more posts and learning more about the SPL meters and correction values. I have e-mailed TENMA in hopes that they can furnish me with their corrections for this model.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

SP

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Kevin,
I saw that thread in some other posts and you're right, can't get it to load. However I found several websites with the correction values. Here's one which even mentions this forum:
Radio Shack SPL Meter Correction Values #1
Here's 2 more:
RS SPL Correction Values #2
RS SPL Correction Values #3
There are some descrepancies on the numbers in this next one, although he claims to have tested "maybe twenty". I'm not sure about his testing method. Maybe someone will have some input on it.
RS SPL Correction Values #4 (?)
At this point I don't know if these will work on my meter. Maybe TENMA will respond to my e-mail after Christmas.
SP

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the 1st 3 all match the values I got from that (now inexplicably defunct) HTF thread.

Will have to look at the 4th some more...

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread