What's new

Tenet (2020) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I worry about getting it from someone who doesn’t yet realize they’re sick.
Thats exactly what a great many people just don’t realize.

All the cleaning and sanitizing won’t make a bit of difference in an air conditioned theater with that person spreading the virus.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thats exactly what a great many people just don’t realize.

All the cleaning and sanitizing won’t make a bit of difference in an air conditioned theater with that person spreading the virus.

Exactly! We’ve known for months now that this virus is not primarily transmitted by surface contact. There have been zero documented cases where the source of infection was traced to surfaces like chairs or objects like packages or food deliveries. All of this talk of sanitization and frequent deep cleaning and temperature checks sound nice but they’re all out of the playbook of some other disease that spreads differently than this does.

This spreads by breathing the same air as an infected person, made much easier because infected people can spread it for weeks before they realize that they’re doing it. And nothing any recreational indoor business has suggested in response addresses that.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So here in Stockholm we are not as wary, it seems.
Just got a mail from my local art house theater, they will show Tenet in 35mm at the end of August. Restricted seating, every second seat not available, like they have done this summer. The room is 100+, so pretty small.
Very tempted, but then again, we have been the exception, for better or worse ...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sad that we may never get to see Tenet on a big screen here in NY.

Why would you think that?

I'm sure it will happen at some point. Even if it comes out on Blu-ray before theaters are open in New York, I bet WB does a re-release of it in premium formats after this is all over. I'm probably going to see this for the first time on Blu-ray, but if I like it, I would be very willing to go see it in a theatrical setting at some point after the pandemic.

I would absolutely hold it for next summer if it were me. But if they don't, I'm sure it will screen nationwide at some point in the future.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sad that we may never get to see Tenet on a big screen here in NY.

IF it ends up not getting a normal theatrical run here, I imagine they'll probably do some special run at the Lincoln Sq IMAX at some point at the very least, if you mean NYC, not upstate NY... but probably also in some other (largely lesser) IMAX theaters.

They've done stuff like that before, particularly for films shot (substantially) on true IMAX format (or 65mm), including some of Nolan's own movies like The Dark Knight -- for instance, they did that around the time of the restored, 4k IMAX run of 2001 a couple years ago...

_Man_

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
IF it ends up not getting a normal theatrical run here, I imagine they'll probably do some special run at the Lincoln Sq IMAX at some point at the very least, if you mean NYC, not upstate NY... but probably also in some other (largely lesser) IMAX theaters.

They've done stuff like that before, particularly for films shot (substantially) on true IMAX format (or 65mm), including some of Nolan's own movies like The Dark Knight -- for instance, they did that around the time of the restored, 4k IMAX run of 2001 a couple years ago...

_Man_
Our local IMAX at the Indiana State Museum has been doing that for a few weeks now. They've run Interstellar, Dunkirk and Dark Knight Rises in 70mm, as well as the other Nolan Batman films in IMAX.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
TENET opens in Sydney,Australia on 27 August in 70mm but woefully projected onto a small cinemascope sized screen and there are no curtains in the cinema. Why would anybody bother seeing it in 70mm under such circumstances? I did see a film in 70mm at the same cinema once, several decades ago .The small cinema (one of two) is situated in a suburban Town Hall. Such a waste of a 70mm experience on a small screen.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There will be "advance screenings" starting August 31 prior to the "official" release date of September 3. But essentially it's now opening stateside on August 31 where possible.

Also, WB will only allow It to play in theaters requiring masks, and there are a bunch of other conditions you can read about in the article above. The big one seems to be that WB is requiring 63% of the gross for the entire run of the film, which is on the high end. This means theaters will only get to pocket 37% of whatever Tenet makes, which is not great for them. But obviously WB wants to make as much money as possible on this and the theaters are in no position to decline those terms.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My question is: is this going to be a standard 90-day-ish exclusive theatrical window, or is WB going to hold the disc release back longer than they normally would in hopes that they will be able to play markets that are currently closed at a later date?

This is on my mind because the only way I will feel safe to see the film is in my home on Blu-ray. I really wish I didn't have to miss a new Christopher Nolan movie in theaters, but since he is set on releasing it this year, that ship appears to have sailed.

90 days from its official release date of September 3 would be December 2. This means WB would be able to get It out for holiday shopping if they wanted, unless they decide that holding it back for future box office is more significant than getting it out ASAP.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My question is: is this going to be a standard 90-day-ish exclusive theatrical window, or is WB going to hold the disc release back longer than they normally would in hopes that they will be able to play markets that are currently closed at a later date?

This is on my mind because the only way I will feel safe to see the film is in my home on Blu-ray. I really wish I didn't have to miss a new Christopher Nolan movie in theaters, but since he is set on releasing it this year, that ship appears to have sailed.

90 days from its official release date of September 3 would be December 2. This means WB would be able to get It out for holiday shopping if they wanted, unless they decide that holding it back for future box office is more significant than getting it out ASAP.
My guess is that since Tenet is so expensive, WB will do everything they can to make money from it as soon as they can. Home video and VOD seem like a lock since there will be more money than usual to be made from the people that really want to see it but don't want to go to a theater.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
My guess is that since Tenet is so expensive, WB will do everything they can to make money from it as soon as they can. Home video and VOD seem like a lock since there will be more money than usual to be made from the people that really want to see it but don't want to go to a theater.
Doesn't help that Wonder Woman '84 is now likely going to flop.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't help that Wonder Woman '84 is now likely going to flop.
I still think they'll move WW if Tenet doesn't earn. If Tenet goes in the hole for a couple hundred million because of limited seating, how does WB release another massively expensive movie a month later when seating likely won't be much better?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks