Tenet (2020)

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
I guess I'm in the minority here, as I came here after seeing the trailer and wanted to learn more about the film, and what people thought about what we know or think we know so far about it.

I didn't come here to be questioned on whether or not someone would wear a mask if they decided to see the movie.

Carry on, I'll go somewhere else as this thread has a different intent than what I am looking for, but this forum isn't here just for me, so be it.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I didn't come here to be questioned on whether or not someone would wear a mask if they decided to see the movie.
No one questioned you.

I was talking with Keith for the reasons I already explained. And he answered and made his position clear.

Relax dude. No one is stopping you from talking about Tenet.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess I'm in the minority here, as I came here after seeing the trailer and wanted to learn more about the film, and what people thought about what we know or think we know so far about it.

Carry on, I'll go somewhere else as this thread has a different intent than what I am looking for, but this forum isn't here just for me, so be it.
I’m sorry, Rodney, I know this sucks.

Nolan is one of my favorite filmmakers and the IMAX format he prefers is my favorite way to watch a film. In any normal time, this would be the event of year for me, and I’m seriously bummed that it’s gotten tangled up in everything that’s going on.

I’m also frustrated by Christopher Nolan’s desire to open everywhere in July, seemingly without consideration for what that means. Speaking only for myself, I will not be comfortable seeing this in a theater in July. And yet, the spoiler people will be sure to put whatever the movie’s secret twist is online everywhere as soon as it opens, and I’ll try as hard as I can to avoid that, but it’s unrealistic to expect I can avoid it in between whenever it opens in theaters to whenever it’s available for home viewing. If I can’t really leave the house, I can’t do an internet blackout when that’s my window to the world. So for the first time in I can’t remember how long, I won’t be able to see a movie I want in theaters and it’ll get ruined for me before I get to watch it at home. And maybe the odds are that I, or most people, could go out and see it without consequence, but I can’t take that chance.

I think the whole thing sucks.

I haven’t watched the trailer yet because, actually, I don’t have a good reason.

But I just wanted to say for whatever it’s worth that I wish “Tenet” was the biggest story of the year because that’s what I want from a Christopher Nolan film. I’d like to go back to a world where a new trailer was the most important thing going on. :)

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I haven’t watched the new trailer either. Why torture myself knowing that i won’t go see it in a theater. Also I want to know as little as possible about the film. So when I eventually do see it at home it will be a more enjoyable experience.

And I agree this all SUCKS!

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I’m rooting for it to open on time. If the theater requires mask wearing, then I’ll wear a mask. If they aren’t requiring it and are just going to keep parties sitting a certain amount of seats apart, then I’ll probably wear one into the theater and take it off when I’m in my seat, then put it on again on my way out.

Reactions: Tino

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If they do go ahead with July, I hope that IMAX will consider bringing it back to their theaters for a second round whenever the time comes when there’s more consensus on it being safer to participate in large social gatherings. Even if I ultimately wind up seeing this at home first, I’d pay to see it in IMAX in a year or two.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I really want to see Tenet. If they actually stick with the July date, I would consider it, but it won't be automatic. I'm not willing to say right now that I 100% would go or that I 100% wouldn't go. I won't make a final determination until it actually comes out. A lot would depend on where we are with respect to the virus in July.

On the other hand, if they push it back to a time when it is unquestionably safer, then I would automatically go, which is why I would prefer they push it. It would be better if everyone were able to go see this without a problem.

Ideally, I also would like my arthouse to be open for it, because they are the only place around here where 70mm can be shown, and that is how I would like to see it. I know that, prior to the virus, they were planning to screen Tenet that way. As of right now, they are wisely electing to remain closed even though they are technically allowed to be open now. So the availability of the film here in my preferred format is very much in question if it stays in July.

Last edited:

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I will see this if it opens in July and I assume that masks won't be optional & I'm fine with that because it will help stop this pandemic. That being said, the amount of dopes I'm seeing on the news that are walking around maskless and crowded on to beaches and boardwalks makes me expect the shit to hit the fan in time to thwart a July release of this movie anyway.

benbess

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I did like the trailer! The night after I watched it I had very cinematic dreams/nightmares based on Tenet—and I still don't really know what the movie is about lol!

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Either that or studios will buy up existing AMCs or Regals and next year, people will be seeing movies in Universal Theaters or DIsney Theaters or, as rumored, Amazon Theaters.
Yes, Amazon is the big rumored buyer of AMC. That would ensure the theaters' survival. It would also be more than a bit terrifying.

Reactions: TravisR

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, Amazon is the big rumored buyer of AMC. That would ensure the theaters' survival. It would also be more than a bit terrifying.
Tangently, Amazon is also a rumored possible buyer of JC Penney stores. Odd how a successful online retailer seems to want to buy all these brick and mortar businesses. They already own Whole Foods stores and have opened a number of physical bookstores.

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Tangently, Amazon is also a rumored possible buyer of JC Penney stores. Odd how a successful online retailer seems to want to buy all these brick and mortar businesses. They already own Whole Foods stores and have opened a number of physical bookstores.
One store to rule them all. - Lord of the Retail 2020

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ultimately, products have to materially get to consumers and can't just be "online" -- even "digital" content have to be delivered in some way at some point -- and presumably, Amazon's about making $$$ whether (conventionally) "online" or not, so... if they find a (possibly new, ingenious) way or angle (and whatever great deal) that works...

Who knows? Maybe they're able to make use of JC Penny's product inventory if acquired essentially at pennies on the dollar along w/ whatever real estate, leases, etc. Actually, they might have more use for the clothing/product labels/names (and whatever associated business arrangements and possibly backend design and manufacturing infrastructure) than actual existing inventory. And maybe they'd also chop it up into various large pieces some of which they don't need and would just be sold off... or only actually acquire specific desired pieces... Maybe they're also considering whether they'll soon need/want (much?) more B&M presence to face off against Apple, et al -- they seemed to be wading into the shallowest end of those waters in recent years...

Well, not too likely they'd use any of JC Penny's real estate as big part of plan B (or C) of HQ expansion (after their original HQ2 plan fell thru last year) anyway... although I suppose they could eye the one location in the heart of Manhattan (at Harold Sq) to convert into office space, especially if they can also get the entire deeply(?) underperforming Manhattan Mall (perhaps at some bargain lease deal) toward that end, not just JC Penny's space... Hmmm...

Anyhoo, sorry to sidetrack this thread further in continuing that tangent...

_Man_

Last edited:

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I still think a July release is unlikely:

If I had to choose, I'd agree with you. That being said, I think Warners is going to be looking at it up until the last second and if cases are going down and people are going out again, they're going to release it. If things are going well then cities that are waiting are going to bend to corporate pressure and allow theaters to open in July.

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
If I had to choose, I'd agree with you. That being said, I think Warners is going to be looking at it up until the last second and if cases are going down and people are going out again, they're going to release it. If things are going well then cities that are waiting are going to bend to corporate pressure and allow theaters to open in July.
Possibly, but even if it's released, the real wild card is what percentage of the movie-going PUBLIC will show up to see it? I think that any way you cut it, numbers will be way down in that regard. There aren't going to be any box office records getting set anytime soon.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s really tough to guess what people will and won’t do at this point. I’m already flabbergasted at both local and nationwide reopenings and gatherings. At this point, I’d almost guess that the people that used to be the opening week viewers might not return at 100%, but that enough people do want to go out that they’ll do the same numbers with people who are just demanding to go out and do anything. But I mean... if people aren’t afraid to go to Disney World, I don’t think they’ll be scared of the movies... which to me is a scary thought.

If this opens in July, it might wind up being the first and biggest indoor activity since things closed. And all of the factors that make gathering outside a little less risky under the circumstance also make indoor gatherings that much more dangerous.

The companies and groups that produce major live entertainments like concert tours and other theater, arena and stadium sized events have all written off 2020. Sports teams are most likely gonna do 2020 without fans in attendance. Major corporations that work in office settings are aiming to keep workers home at least until the fall, possibly until next year, and in some cases, forever.

It seems very possible that movie theaters will be the first societal activity that will bring people together indoors. They’ll be in small spaces with HVAC systems on in full force. They may prove to be the ground zero of the next round of this thing. And it seems enough people will willingly march into them that it’ll be full steam ahead.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Possibly, but even if it's released, the real wild card is what percentage of the movie-going PUBLIC will show up to see it?
Last weekend:

Video shows crowded pool party in Missouri - CNN Video

That's only one example of some real dumbasses but I think if that's what the beginning of the loosening of restrictions looks like then Tenet will likely do quite well in a month and a half. It's going to have mountains of free publicity (even if it's mostly stories wondering if people will return to theaters), be nearly the only movie that is playing and once states have relaxed even more restrictions, people will be back to relatively normal by then.

Reactions: dpippel

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freewheelinhippie