Tenenbaum's Music Changed For DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by R. Kay, Jul 17, 2002.

1. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

Per Jeffrey Wells' @ Reel.com's 'Hollywood Confidential' :

---------------

I saw Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums three times last year. Each time the film had two original Beatle tracks — "Hey Jude" and the slightly slower-tempo, bootleg version of "I'm Looking Through You" — playing during the opening and closing sequences.
    But on the recently released Tenenbaums Criterion Collection DVD, the original "Jude" track has been replaced by a non-singing instrumental cover of the song, and an old Van Morrison cut from "Moondance" has replaced the bootleg "I'm Looking Through You" track. I was surprised but not stunned to hear this, since Anderson had commented during the festival that rights issues about using the original Beatles tracks were still up in the air and that "it may be illegal" to include them on the film's then-temporary soundtrack. Still, I had presumed this had been resolved since the Beatle tracks were still on a print shown to journalists only days before Tenenbaums' commercial debut on December 14, 2001.
    Obviously something didn't pan out. Anderson wouldn't help me with the details for this story (his assistant Steve French responded to my Tuesday inquiry by e-mailing a statement this morning saying only that "Wes is very happy with what's in the movie"). I remember Anderson saying last September that Paul McCartney was cool with his using the original Beatle tracks and that the snarl had to do with either George (whose illness or death may have conceivably been a factor in the negotiations) or Ringo … I can't remember which.
    What got me about the whole thing was how the absence of the original Beatles tracks has weakened the sequences they were originally married to. The opening introduction to the Tenenbaum family-history sequence, which is narrated by Alec Baldwin, somehow doesn't have the emotional resonance it had when McCartney's singing of "Hey Jude" was part of the mix. And the closing, slow-motion funeral sequence, which seemed perfectly complimented by the quiet, clickety-clack rhythms of "I'm Looking Through You," now feels distinctly off with that upbeat Morrison tune in its place.

2. Jeff Bock

Jeff Bock Auditioning

The music was changed before the official movie release, so except for the NY film festival and advance screenings, so the DVD is the same version that I (and most people) saw in theaters. The "bootleg" version of "I'm Looking Through You" was on the Anthology 2 CD. There was also at least one advance screening where "Sloop John B" by the Beach Boys was used at the end.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I KNEW I wasn't insane!
    I saw The Royal Tenenbaums at a press screening here in Philly, and clearly remember LOVING the final few minutes - thanks to hearing "Sloop John B." as all the characters shuffle out of the cemetery.
    As I watched the ending on DVD, I thought to myself "HUH?? This is Van Morrison!" It was a mild disappointment, but not one that damages the movie all that much.

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Perhaps you could have selected a better thread title. Because the DVD matches the theatrical release version that the vast majority of us all saw.

Never having heard the temporary version, I have to say that I was nothing but pleased by the psuedo-instrumental 'Hey Jude' in the theatrical version. I may have to try cueing up the Beach Boys for the end and see how it fits.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I too never saw the advance version, so I have only seen what's on the DVD. I thought it fit fine and dandy. The other version could have been better, but it's kind of like being in love...if you've never been, you don't know what you're missing. [​IMG]

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Wow, hearing this information makes me wish I had been at one of the festival or press screenings of the film!

I read somewhere that the Mark Mothersbaugh version of "Hey Jude" (often attributed to Elliot Smith on the 'net for some odd reason) was a stand in for the Beatles track. I didn't know that "I'm Looking Through You" take 1 was used over the last scene, however. And I definitely didn't know "Sloop John B." was tried in that place as well.

Can someone tell me if the whole track of "I'm Looking Through You" was used, or if it came up during a verse or chorus? I'd like to play it with the scene myself and see how it might have gone.

Maybe Jeffrey Wells could shed some light on how the original track lineup for The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack CD was scrapped (4 tracks were cut), but promos somehow sneaked out. And the insult to the injury here is that they NOW have the CD available as originally intended!! Good luck trying to tell the difference by the front cover alone, though, they're identical!

7. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

wow, i had NO idea about a revised soundtrack being released. i just checked Amazon and saw that the instrumental Hey Jude is available. YEAH! it's 8:30 - if i leave my place now i can still make it...

8. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I was at one of the advance screenings where "Sloop John B" was used at the end. I was sorry to hear, or I should say not hear, any reference to that change on Anderson's commentary track. I thought that was the most perfect usage of that song in a film I'd ever heard, especially with the subconscious mirror of having the love/hate relationship with a father that the Wilsons and the Tenebaums both shared. I was really sorry to see it go.

9. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Why does the article reference McCartney and Ringo? I thought they had nothing to do with the rights these days - isn't it Michael Jackson who owns them or am I completely wrong??

~ John

10. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

None of the Beatles have a say if you want to use a re-recording of the song, but if you want to use The Beatles actual performance, Paul, Ringo, Yoko and someone from George's estate have a say over whether or not you can do it.

I went and played the Beatles and Beach Boys over the closing scene of Tenenbaums and I thought they fit quite well. I assume when "Sloop John B." was used, the full band kicked in just as the director credit flashed up. The timing is pretty close when I start the song where the Van Morrison song comes in.

And I wonder when Anderson was using "Hey Jude" over the open which parts were repeated. Because as edited with the replacement version, there's room for two extra verses of the song before the big group chorus comes in as Mordecai is released.

11. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I love the Mark Mothersbaugh Hey Jude and feel the Beatles recording there would have been a distraction.

Can anyone tell me where in the film John Lennon's song is?
    It must be a very brief snippet, as I've missed it and I've been listening for it.

12. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

I remember hearing JL's "Look At Me" in the film, but cannot remember in what scene. Seems like it was early on while the 3 were still younger.

13. Jeff Bock

Jeff Bock Auditioning

It is "Look at Me" and I'm pretty sure that it plays over the part where Ari, Uzi, and Chas are setting up to sleep in Chas' old room.

14. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

A few days ago I placed an order for the soundtrack with 23 tracks. I noticed there is also a version with 20 tracks. I assume the CD with 23 tracks is the "original" soundtrack?

15. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

"I assume the CD with 23 tracks is the 'original' soundtrack? "
    the 20 track CD was the first one released. though i just got the newer one and the packaging is exactly the same. Amazon.com said the 23 song version was a "collectors edition" but it doesn't say that anywhere on the CD.

another question: the new CD's track 4 is listed as "Sonata for Cello and Piano in F Minor (The Mutato Muzika Orcherstra)" but it sounds like Lindbergh Palace Suite Hotel from the opriginal. i don't have both CDs with me right now (just the new one). am i missing something here?

16. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

I also saw the film in advance of its release with "Sloop John B" and am only just now hearing about this! That's a real shame, because it fit beautifully.

One matter about getting Beatles music into movies is their cost: Close to $1 million per song. When the makers of I AM SAM tried to get the right to Beatle songs they were stunned when told the cost. Since that film filled with Beatle songs, the music rights would have cost almost as much as the film did, which is why the songs were re-recorded by other artists.

Can anyone explain to me why the only film of the last decade to contain an actual Beatles song is still... LASSIE?

17. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

18. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Hmmmmm. George, Ringo and Paul all appeared on SNL (and each tried to claim their share.. ha ha). I guess it pays if you know the Beatles, same way Cameron Crowe knew Led Zeppelin and got their songs for Almost Famous.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer