tendonitus of the knee

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    What can you tell me about tendonitus of the knee. I think I might have had something like that in my left knee. As you may know here, I'm an very avid hiker,backpacker, cylist and kayaker and I think I might of pinged my left knee while backpacking over the holidays. Knee is fine when prone, or slight bent when walking on a level surface, but say I put weight on it when climbing or descending stairs (rocks, etc. etc.), I can feel a sharp pain in the underside of my left knee. Sounds like tendonitus to me but most websites mention the symptons to the tendons in front of the knee cap. That's not where mine hurts. Had it happen on the 27th. Right now, if feels a lot better but not 100%. Anything other than the usual anti-inflamatory or perhaps a heatpad and rest? I did a hike on new year's day with a friend of mine but we made sure it was on fairly level ground, on the trails, and no ledges to hop. I test it every now and then on the stairs and today I can put weight on the left leg and bend it pretty good so I know it's getting better.

Jay

2. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I have suffered from patella tendinitis which is in the front of the knee. I'd stay away from heat, as it can cause further inflammation, if I'm not mistaken. Motrin or Aleve usually do the trick.

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

If the pain is in the backside of the knee, it may not be your knee, but your hamstring. I had a bad case of tendonitis of the biceps femoris ( the hamstring muscle the attaches to the tibia). The back of my knee was extremely sore and painful. The hamstrings are responsible for bending the knee, so motion that causes the knee to bend can cause pain (as can weight-bearing).

I was actually on crutches, it was so bad. Lots of physical therapy to stretch the hamstring and NSAIDS. Finally, the doc resorted to cortisone injections (3 of them). They worked, but I still have problems to this day.

BTW, heat is ok. Ice for the first 24 hours, then heat. You might want to pick up some Thermacare wraps. They work wonders!

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Perhaps it is a meniscus tear...... which is fairly common among active people. Shows up with cerain knee movements and is usually treated with anti-inflammatory meds.

5. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Get an X-Ray and MRI done.