tenacious D: the masterworks... "simulated 5.1"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricW, Dec 2, 2003.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

what's this? the DVD cover says the audio is "simulated" 5.1? could someone tell me exactly how many channels of audio are on this? (my reveiver doesn't say)

btw, is this a first in terms of terminology?

2. Brian=Johnson

Yeah, I don't know what is up with the terminology. The concert on Disc 1 has both DD 5.1 and a stero 2 channel PCM track. I prefer the PCM over the 5.1 I'm pretty sure that everything else on the discs is the 2 channel PCM.

Long live the D!

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

The DD5.1 isn't a bad track. It's equivalent to running the 2.0 through the "Arena" or "Stadium" modes of your receiver. There's nothing to be gained on this track, unless for some reason your receiver doesn't have those modes.

But the PCM is the better track.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Exactly- I think what it means is that the 5.1 mix is simply a processed 2 channel mix... rather than being a true 5.1 remix of the source files, they took the 2 channel mix and used processing to created a 5.1 mix, similar to what could be done with dolby dsp filters like STADIUM.

I think they were just trying to differentiate that it wasn't a true 5.1 remix, rather "simulated" and re-encoded as 5.1