Tenacious D Album Recalled

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Our local borders told us the Tenacious D album had been recalled because of tracks that were "innappropriate" in light of current situations.. I assume that means the album had the track "City Hall"
    Crap! Did anyone manage to buy this thing before it got recalled?

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Are you sure? I saw this out yesterday. On the other hand, The Strokes album, which was to be released yesterday, was recalled for this same reason. (You can see my thread about it in this section.) If this is accurate, looks like I may have to hightail it to see if I can grab a copy.
    ------------------
    Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
    Most recent reviews: Mississippi Mermaid, Un Flic, How to Get Ahead in Advertising: The Criterion Collection, WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom
    Most recent column: Panning P&S

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I've been to three places in town who all told me they no longer stock it because it was pulled back.
    Damnit! I can't believe I missed getting this freaking album! I need to find someone who hasn't sent their copies back [​IMG]

4. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

They were just on David Letterman show last night. So I guess they have some material that is not deemed inappropriate.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I picked up a copy out here in LA at Virgin Mega Store... but it wasn't in the T section, I found one single copy which was at the end of an isle in a stack it shouldn't have been (looked like someone put it down there after deciding not to buy)...
    Anyway, when I got to the counter the guy said it had been recalled due to content or cover art-- he was suprised they had any copies at all. But it scanned in the register, so he sold it to me.
    Weird.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

8. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

This is just a heads-up that the duo will be on The Daily Show tonight at 11.
    A shame about the recall; I was looking foward to this.
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

God damnit. I went to four different stores; two best buys, a circuit city, and a sam goody's. No one had it. Everyone had it listed as "recalled" with a new release date of Oct. 2.
    Damnit! I'm sure the new version will be altered ;(

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I ordered this from the D's website, and got it early (with a sock!) On the Daily Show, they said it was recalled because of the back cover art, showing satan standing over two chained naked babies. The D's remark was that it was a collector's album-already worth $18.50! I doubt the music will be changed, and if it was, I'm glad I got my copy!

11. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

I went to Best Buy yesterday and that about 7 copies in stock. I didn't know anything about the recall and nobody at the store said anything about it. I'm glad I picked it up when I did.

12. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

For those in LA, Rockaway had many copies a few days ago. I think they were $8.99 per.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

13. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

So...what was the outcome of this? I take it the cover art was changed? Any music altered? Any original cover scans?

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have the original art- but no scanner handy right now. If someone posts the "altered" version- or at least the art from a more recently purchased version- I'd be happy to compare.

I think the change was on the back cover.

-Vince

15. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, luckily I got the original but on the new one it's exactly the same except the two Jack and Kyle babies are gone.

16. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I saw some vinyl copy of the Tenacious D album at Virgin Megastore in Orlando, and they had the original back cover art. These were probably printed up pre-recall and they either slipped through the cracks or were considered too costly to replace.
    I should have picked one up. [​IMG]

17. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I can't believe that even in THIS day and age that censorship still exists :/ It's not like it was 9/11 related and they needed to be sensitive.

Chris-What's wrong with the track city hall?

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

"Lot's of times when me and K-G are watchin all the fuckin shit that goes down (in city hall)...we get the feelin we should fuck shit up, yah...we should fuckin start a riot...

We'd have 'em screamin in the streets, we'd have 'em tippin' over shit, and fuckin smashin windows of small businesses....and settin fuckin fires, settin fuckin fires."

Granted...that's all from memory, and the lyrics could be a little different...but you get the gist.

19. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

That's enough to pull it from the shelves?

20. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Larry,

It turned out not to be that song, but rather the back cover art which depicted two babies (representing JB and KG) chained to Satan. The babies were airbrushed out.