What's new

Ten Commandments : Se (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
VistaVision can wildly vary...

However, 1.78:1 is probably fine for the film. Now, the 2.21:1 ratio on the Super VistaVision re-release was flat-out wrong.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
It looks pretty darn great on a 9' wide Stewart Firehawk 1.78:1 screen :- )

Another exerpt from the book: "The idea behind horizontal Vista Vision was impressive.
Theaters equipped with CinemaScope were to retain their screen width but increase the screen height to encompass the 1.85:1 (the image was cropped somewhat) aspect ratio of Vista Vision".

David, the current release is 1.85:1.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
According to DVD WIdescreen Review, the current version is 1.78:1 anamorphic.

And the link in the announcement says this new one will be 1.85:1 anamorphic. Not much of a difference.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Great movie. I just watched it again a few weeks ago (after re-reading Exodus) and the transfer is really pretty good. I'll be anxious to read reviews to see if it's a new transfer, and if there is any improvement.

I love Billy Crystal's impersonation of Yul Brynner from this film "Moses and the Hebrewites..." (yes, I know "Hebrewites" isn't a word, but I think that's how he said it). Also, I think he does a great impersonation of Edward G. Robinson from this film "Yeah, yeah, you and all the slaves, see....see..." Well, it's alot funnier when it's not written down.

How about a thread on unusual Biblical epic casting:
Edward G. Robinson?
Max Von Sydow, maybe the most Nordic looking man alive, playing Jesus?
Harvey Keitel? I didn't realize Judas was from the Bronx (sorry if that's not Keitel's actual accent).
Donald Pleasence and Fernando Rey as wise men or magi, ostensibly from the Iraq area?
Telly Savalas as Pontius Pilate? I keep waiting for him to ask Jesus "Who loves ya, baby?"
And a drawling centurion played by the Duke.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Mark Zimmer:
I haven't revisited it in a long time, but the 1999 transfer was certainly very nice for its day. I wonder how it holds up now?

The DVNR dirt/scratch removal was what ruined the first dvd release for me, I just hope that this new release is free of it.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
If I recall correctly, I believe that the last transfer was done right as DVD as a format was launched, in 1997 -even thought the DVD didnt come out until 1999 (in anticipation of Anamorphic-also used on the LD re-issue in 1997 )so its getting on what, 7 years old?
I would hope this means a new transfer...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've had the previous version in my hands many times but always held off on buying it. This one I'll get the day it comes out, unless they screw up the transfer.

GregK

Screenwriter
This info is from a closed thread regarding the upcoming DVD:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=181417

I couldn't wait to find out (looks like no one was answering anyway) so called Paramount in Hollywood and asked what were the differences. The girl who answered the phone didn't know right off but she was polite and professional and made a phone call to get my answer. Apparently there will be a new 16:9 enhanced transfer, upgraded 5.1 audio, and 6 new documentaries added to the extras. There may be other differences but that is basically what they said.
So based on this unconfirmed info, the new SE may have a new transfer. And the "upgraded 5.1 audio" has me puzzled. The original multi-track mag mix for "The Ten Commandments" has been considered lost for some time, with various stereo remixes or 5.1 remixes made for the previous LDs and DVDs. I wonder if the original mag tracks have surfaced? Or perhaps yet another 5.1 remix has been made for this new release? Then again, with this being 2nd hand, maybe it's still the same 5.1 remix that was used on the last DVD and LD....

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I hope Robert Harris chimes in on this release since there seems to have been criticisms by some film buffs of the previous restoration efforts of the negatives and audio tracks for The Ten Commandments.

As I was watching Lawrence of Arabia Superbit I still was slightly disappointed because the widely directionalized dialog (pretty cool) seemed to have been steered mostly to the center channel (ugh).

The R.A.H. effort on Spartacus for Criterion seemed to maintain more of a stereophonic spread than Lawrence. IMHO.

Dan

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Dan...

What you're hearing in LoA v. Spartacus is the difference between native 3 channel discreet stereo mixes vs. a full 6 channel discreet mix.

LoA never had the directional dialogue of Spartacus.

This is primarily the difference between British stereo mixes of tbe period vs. US mixes, and specifically why Mr. Kubrick had the final reel of 2001 mixed in the US at 6 channel vs. a British 4.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks