What's new

Ten Commandments SE, new transfer? reviews? (1 Viewer)

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone confirm that The Ten Commandments SE, scheduled for release 3/9 is a new transfer, different from the earlier release? Also any advance word, reviews regarding the transfer?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I had it confirmed by a pal who works at Paramount Home Video that the transfer is exactly the same as the old release.

No reason to re-purchase.

What a shame that Paramount couldn't revisit this VistaVision gem the way that Warner did with NORTH BY NORTHWEST. Imagine how gorgeous it could be!

:frowning:

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The transfer is exactly the same, and is on two discs. The break is at the same spot as the early version.

Extras are on disc two.

I've been too busy to write up a review, but hope to have it up this weekend.

-Scott

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's too bad.

Mine just shipped, and had I known this
was the same transfer I would have not
ordered it in the first place.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I disagree. The fantastic commentary by Katherine Orrison--author of the highly acclaimed book Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic, The Ten Commandments--easily makes this classic epic worth a repurchase. You can sell your old DVD on Half.com for $10 (I know, because I did) and get the new SE for less than $14 shipped. The commentary and other meager extras are definitely worth that measly $4.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I for one don't upgrade anymore for any extras (except deleted scenes), only for improved transfers. So, I'll be passing this one up. Thanks for the info. I'm sure this is a good commentary, but I only listen to those once, no matter how good, but your mileage may vary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Randy,
Do you have any details about that documentary? Is it a six part documentary which Lasersedge indicated on their site?

Crawdaddy

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Same transfer? :frowning: I had been holding out from getting this film as I had heard there was a newer version in the works; I had mistakenly assumed that meant a new transfer (shame on me). Is the old transfer bad? It appears a few people are disappointed that it's the same one...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The current transfer is just fine, quite handsome, in fact. I'm not much on extras, so I'll most likely be passing but that commentary and documentary does sound tempting.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

The old transfer is fine. It's just that the original DVD was done several years ago, and many people would expect that, given the advances in restoration and DVD presentations since then, a special-edition re-release would automatically feature a new widescreen presentation.

Something being overlooked is that the new DVD retails for $19.99, while the original bare-bones DVD from 1999 went for $34.99. So Paramount can't really be accused of gouging. As I pointed out before, this new version is certainly worth getting for those who grew up watching this epic on TV every year at Easter. (Popcorn night! :) )

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The print isn't perfect, but it's above average for its age, given no digital restoration. Some dust and scratches, but not bad. A bit soft. Colors are beautiful.

I'll get a full review up ASAP.

-Scott

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Wow, I forgot about how much that dvd cost back then. Yes, Paramount has come a long way in their price structure and I did purchased it again because I wanted the audio commentary and extras.

Crawdaddy

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The transfer on the old release looks fine to me-really shows off that vivid Technicolor look. I honestly think it looks as good as most recent movies. I ordered the new release for $14.99 just to get that commentary and the other extras.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'm with most everyone else. I sold my old copy thinking this was a new transfer.

I think there was a thread that showed from the original pressbook that the movie was released in 1.78:1 and 1.85:1. The old DVD release was 1.78:1 and this new one was going to be 1.85:1.

The funny thing is, on my 16x9 TV, all movies(1.66:1, 1.78:1 and 1.85: fill the entire screen anyway)but I was still hoping for a new transfer.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
For those that already sold the old one, the new one probably won't cost you much. DVDSoon has the SE for $12.99 CDN.

* Note: beware of some French on cover for those that don't like bilingual covers. Canadian cover

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Wow, I saw this at a B&M even before 3/2 and assumed it was already out. First-time buyers should be in for a treat, as this is a very inexpensive title for what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks