What's new

Temporary / Moveable screen for X1? Starting over (1 Viewer)

Neal_C

Second Unit
Well, unfortunately this thread was lost with the database problems, so I would like to start it up again.

I'm looking for a screen that can be put up for viewing and taken down when not in use and be easily stored. It will go in front of my entertainment center for mostly DVD viewing since I have a Mits 46" as well.

I don't have the X1 yet...I have gotten the green light though. Which I am very fortunate to have since I have over spent my wife's budget this year :)

So far: Def Tech 2002tl's, clr2002, Rotel 1055/1075 combo and a gaming computer. I also have a SVS PB2+ on order.
I'm very lucky :)

At any rate...I had gotten some folks mentioning blackout cloth, but don't think I caught any other suggestions, if there were any.

So if you replied to this thread before, please do so again. If you hadn't replied before, feel free to voice your opinions and thoughts.

Thanks,

Neal

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
A tripod pulldown would work great I think. I use a ceiling mounted pulldown, Da-lite Model B Matte. Works great!

Neal_C

Second Unit
Can I just get any pulldown screen and attach it to a tripod? Or do I need to get one like they use for quick presentations, etc...where it is already a part of it?

Any idea what kinda cost I am looking at?

Thanks,

Neal

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm in the same situation as Neal. My projector is a Panasonic L300u.

I'm considering making a blackout cloth screen or a Parkland Plastic screen. Does anyone know which of these is the best for my projector?

What kind of material should I use for constructing the frame for my screen so that it'll be as light as possible yet sturdy? My screen will be about 100".

~T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Two more questions: 1. Is "blackout cloth" the official name of that cloth? 2. Can the Parkland Plastic material be rolled or folded?

~T

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
Thi Them I actually think that pretty much is the official name. I wasnt sure either. I didnt want to feel stupid walking into JoAnn's fabrics and saying that. But I went in yesterday and picked some up for my 92" DIY.

I went in and asked for the fabric they use behind drapes to block out light and she had this blank stare. LOL I finally said "black-out cloth" and she said "oh yeah!"

Anyhoo I am actually in the same position Neal's in. wouldve preferred something light that I can set aside during casual TV use. Id like to see how this thread ends up before I start building sunday night.

Since I handed the 47inch to my pops for the livingroom theater and reclaimed my old 32 inch RCA. I thought Id find some way to rig some sort of bracket to a very light screen so I can just hang the screen on the center when viewing dvds and such. But my only problem was stowing it away.
Might look like a fixed screen solution.

..... Mark (eagerly awaiting PLVZ1 arrival)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I use the 80" Da-Lite "Insta-Theater" when I need to drag the projector to a relative's house for "football parties":

It's a little pricey (I paid $400.00 for mine); but the "Wide Power Screen" is great for use when the room isn't completely dark. The "angle dropoff" is also imperceptible in spite of the high gain.

When not in use it folds down into the cylindrical base and is then stored in the corner of a closet.

Here's a link to a complete description:

http://www.presentingsolutions.com/p...asp?itemid=103

Neal_C

Second Unit
Joseph,

That looks like a pretty nice solution and would work perfectly.

One question...When you use it, is your center channel speaker behind the screen? Using that screen, my center channel would be right behind it. Would that cause any problems?

Thanks,

Neal

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Neal, the Insta-Theater screen material is not acoustically transparent. If you put it in front of yuor center channel, you will have to run in phantom mode.

You only have 3 choices screenwise for the center (I have the same problem): 1) Buy an acoustically transparent screen, 2) DIY an acoustically transparent screen, 3) move your center channel.

Option 1) is really expensive.

RG

TimDoss

Second Unit
My 100" formica/foamboard screen will soon be hung from the
ceiling on hinges so it can be folded up out of the way...
I will paint the back of it the same color as the ceiling so
hopefully it won't stand out too much. I love the screen,
painted rustoleum high heat silver, and this, I think, is
a great solution for me to be able to still use my rptv.
If it doesn't look too good folded against the ceiling then
my next step will be to actually try to bring some attention
to it, maybe some moulding around the whole thing and some
textured wallpaper over the back of it. Make it looked
planned. The screen is light enough that I'll easily be
able to raise and lower it myself.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Rick,

Thanks for the link to that DIY screen. That looks fairly inexpensive and very effective and almost perfect for what I need. I could just put some hooks in the ceiling and hang it. Then I wouldn't have center channel issues since my center is on a shelf under the tv.

Now, to try and find that material.

Hmm, maybe its time to give FP a try.

Thanks again,

Neal

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
One question...When you use it, is your center channel speaker behind the screen? Using that screen, my center channel would be right behind it. Would that cause any problems?
Neal:

I don't use the screen for HT very much; just "football parties".

For HT, I utilize a wall-mounted 96" 16:9 DIY grey screen in my downstairs den (which has no windows!) I have a full DD 5.1 audio installation down there.

The few times that I have used it for HT (in my upstairs Living Room) we've just run straight stereo. The screen really does a good job with HT under ambient light conditions; it's just a little too "bright" in my downstairs den.

In your case, if you still want to try to use it for HT, I would recommend moving the center channel to the top of your entertainment center (if that's possible).

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
hahaa was just thinkin that same thing this morning TIM. Painting the back side the color of the ceiling and it would be easier for me cause i have vaults. but i dont know not sure if I want to drill. I was thinking of some manual pulley system to get it out of the way. That insta theater thing is cool ..... i work for a da-lite dealer and even at my cost it would still be over my budget. Ive figured out my fixed screen budget to be fifty bucks. Black out High heat paint rustoleum and frame and borders. I think ill figure somethin out ...... keep the ideas comin guys

Mark (eagerly awaiting PLVZ1)

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
Neal,

The black material under the viewing area of the Da-Lite Insta-Theater (see Joseph's picture)is acoustically transparent. If I look closely at my screen, I see little holes in the black below the screen. So if your center channel is below your TV or mounted low, you will be fine as long as the white viewing area is above the center channel.

Mike

Neal_C

Second Unit
Mike,

Thanks for the info. Any way you can measure the distance between the floor and where the white of the screen starts? If I knew that, I could easily determine if it would work or not. I might be willing to spend that kind of money, but not sure yet.

Thanks again,

Neal

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
I got the following from the Focused Technology website about the Da-Lite Insta-Theater screens:

Available in the following sizes:

Viewing area 36 x 48 (60" diagonal) - Fully Extended Height is 74 3/4"
Viewing area 48 x 64 (80" diagonal) - Fully Extended Height is 82 5/8"
Viewing area 60 x 80 (100" diagonal) - Fully Extended Height is 98 1/2"

If you subtract the vertical height of each of the viewing areas from the fully extended height for each screen, I believe you will get the distance from the floor to the bottom of white viewing area. You will also want to subtract about two inches from this figure because there is at least a two inch black border at the top of the screen.

So my best guess is for each screen fully extended:

36 x 48 screen - 36 3/4" from floor to bottom of white viewing area
48 x 64 screen - 32 5/8" from floor to bottom of white viewing area
60 x 80 screen - 36 1/2" from floor to bottom of white viewing area

The screens do not have to be fully extended. The screen will stop at any position you desire.

I have the smallest screen. I will make the measurement you desire so we can compare it to my calculations.

Mike

Neal_C

Second Unit
Mike,

Thanks for the info...I guess I could have gotten that off the site myself :) but I appreciate you posting it.
Look forward to seeing how accurate that is compared with your actual measurements.

That sounds like any of them would work.

Neal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks