Temporary Burn-In on LCD-RPTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Alan Wise, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Here's a crazy one.
    I have noticed that my Hitachi LCD-RPTV suffers from temporary burn-in. Most specifically, after watching local (Boston area CBS for instance)news in high def with letter boxing. I watched the news for about 30 minutes and then changed to STRZ to watch a non-letterboxed movie and I'll be darned if I didn't see the faint outlines of the previous channel's letterbox. Also evident was the CBS logo in the lower right portion of the screen. After about an hour of non-letterboxed viewing, the phenomena disappears and all is well in my world.
    What causes this? Do any of you with an LCD-RPTV experience this? I'm obviously curious.

Thanks, Al. Wise

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

3. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Elinor,

What is strange, is that until last week I had the 50" version (the 50V500a) and just upgraded to the 60V500a.
    I've had the 50" since early July, but never experienced this situation. My son now has the 50" and he agrees that he does not see this at all. Everything else about the new 60" is great. As a matter of fact after my personal tweaks and calibrations (I started with the same settings as the 50")my wife commented that this new TV has a nicer picture.
    Go figure huh?

Thanks again, Al. Wise

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

You picked a great set. I don't think what you're seeing is in any way indicative of "something wrong" ... it's just a phenomenon that occurs in some sets.

Unless, of course, it doesn't go away. [​IMG] That is extremely rare and I have never heard of it happening in a tv environment (as opposed to a PC environment).