Tempest Vented Design

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy Noel, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Randy Noel

Randy Noel Stunt Coordinator

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm planning on building a vented sub using the Tempest Driver and probably the AVA 250 Amp. I've NEVER done anything like this before, so I am not equipped to do my own enclosure design. I have seen the Adire Alignment, and a few others, but was just curious to see any pre-designed options I might be missing. Can't go IB or Tube, so I'm just interested in alternative box designs that others may have come across. Strictly HT use (at least 95%). Thanks.
  2. edit...re-reading your post..my post doesn't really apply [​IMG]
  3. Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell Screenwriter

Sep 15, 1998
    Greg K.
    If it's mostly HT use & you have the space, I'd go with an EBS alignment for the lower bass extension.
    If you don't want to build a tube, or design your own cabinet, I'd stick with one of the plans from Adire's site.
    Also look at the sonotube projects link: Despite the name, there are a lot of traditional cabinets shown there.
    Sono Tube Projects links
  4. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

May 17, 2002
    Randy, I recently built a modified version of Adire's Tempest EBS design. I built mine slightly larger than the EBS plan called for. I downloaded WinISD Beta and did a lot of playing around with numbers and sizes. I eventually decided on a 24" * 24" * 48" enclosure, tuned to 16hz. This monster is awesome for movies, and I haven't even got the proper plate amp yet. It is huge but hey its cool.