What's new

Tempest Sub Baffle Questions (2 Viewers)

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
What is the best way to mount the Tempest driver recessed in a double thick MDF baffle? Do you:

1) glue two 3/4 MDF blanks together first, use the circle jig to make the driver cut out through both and then rout out for the flange?

Or do you:

2) glue the jig to cut out each blank to their respective sizes and then glue them together?

If it is the former, what diameter should the rabbiting bit and bearing be and can you suggest where I can get one? Is there an easier way to do it?
Thanks!:)

Karl FS

Grip
I glued first and then used my circle jig to cut out the recess first and then the cutout. I doubt you could find a rabbet bit big enough to do the recess, at least at reasonable cost.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
actuley i have 1 but it as 2 big. so i flush mounted my av 15 and they stick way out. but it makes them look cooler. and more powerfull.

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
Align & clamp both pieces together, then drill the center hole for your circle jig straight through both pieces so you know they will be centered in the same place. Then cut the 13 7/8" mounting hole through the inner piece, the 15 1/4" or whatever it is in the outer piece, then glue em up.. Piece of cake :)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Whatever you do, don't try the jigsaw route with this... its a PITA! It took me a couple 'modifications' before everything fit right, despite very careful measuring.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Robert,

I agree with Owen that using a jigsaw is cumbersome, but that's what I did. I cut most of my 3/4" MDF using a jigsaw b/c I don't have a router. So, I cut a solid Top Plug and Top Cap. All of the driver, port and terminal cup holes were cut individually in the bottom pieces (Bottom Cap, Bottom Plug and 3/8" OSB for the T-nuts).

So I had five individual pieces and glued the two top pieces together and then glued the three bottom pieces together. It required some monitering to make sure all of the holes lined up correctly.

I didn't recess my Tempest driver b/c I wanted all the strength I could muster in the baffle.

JKS

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info everyone! Sorry about not responding until now - I was out of town. I'll probably surface mount the driver. It will be down firing onto a "SVS" style baseplate. I figured that the baseplate will make the sub easier to move around since the 214L enclosure I'm building will weigh about 150+ pounds.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks