Tempest Sonotube vs SVS CS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Read, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Bill Read

Bill Read Auditioning

Let me start off with a quick note. SVS offers an extremely nice line of products with a strong following of enthusiasts. I kick around the idea of ordering two 16-46's every day for my system.
    I have the tools / ability to build a sub, even though I would rather not. MS spoiled me with plug n play. [​IMG]
    Can a tempest sonotube outperform an SVS CS?
    This is not a slam fest, nor is it intended to put down SVS products. I merely would like opinions on how to surpass their levels of bass with a home built unit.
    ------------------
    Bill Read
    Bill's HT
    Bill's DVDs

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the 15" teptest will need a lot of EQ,or a much bigger enclosure volume to stay flat...but it certainly has the potential to out displace a single 12 " driver.
    If enclosure size isnt a concern...and you have some basic hand tools...DIY is really the way to go.
    I have a 30"/6 ft tall sonotube in my living room...so you KNOW I'd go with the tempest if I were you!
    in fact, get a pair.
    TV

3. Bill Read

Bill Read Auditioning

Thank you Tom!
    Size is not really an issue. I was thinking 24" x 6' with one Tempest per....have not started running numbers yet as this project will not begin until we move into our new home this summer.
    I have drooled over your water heater since day one of finding this site. The idea of having a miniheater myself is exciting!
    ------------------
    Bill Read
    Bill's HT
    Bill's DVDs