1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tempest Sonotube vs SVS CS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Read, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Bill Read

Bill Read Auditioning

Let me start off with a quick note. SVS offers an extremely nice line of products with a strong following of enthusiasts. I kick around the idea of ordering two 16-46's every day for my system.
    I have the tools / ability to build a sub, even though I would rather not. MS spoiled me with plug n play. [​IMG]
    Can a tempest sonotube outperform an SVS CS?
    This is not a slam fest, nor is it intended to put down SVS products. I merely would like opinions on how to surpass their levels of bass with a home built unit.
    ------------------
    Bill Read
    Bill's HT
    Bill's DVDs

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the 15" teptest will need a lot of EQ,or a much bigger enclosure volume to stay flat...but it certainly has the potential to out displace a single 12 " driver.
    If enclosure size isnt a concern...and you have some basic hand tools...DIY is really the way to go.
    I have a 30"/6 ft tall sonotube in my living room...so you KNOW I'd go with the tempest if I were you!
    in fact, get a pair.
    TV

3. Bill Read

Bill Read Auditioning

Thank you Tom!
    Size is not really an issue. I was thinking 24" x 6' with one Tempest per....have not started running numbers yet as this project will not begin until we move into our new home this summer.
    I have drooled over your water heater since day one of finding this site. The idea of having a miniheater myself is exciting!
    ------------------
    Bill Read
    Bill's HT
    Bill's DVDs