1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tempest Sonosub complete - WOW!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Dr, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Well today I got the MCM amp and fired up the tempest sonosub... man it totally blows the doors off my Tannoy PS115.. mind you the Tannoy is a $1200 retail sub..
    just a quick tech look at the design:
    the total volume is about 222-224 liters, but I made a flush mounted amp so the amp mount is taking up about 7 liters.. the port is a 4" flared and is tuned to 18 hz.. there is some stuffing around the port and around the steel rods that go inside the sub for structural integrity..
    so on to the interesting stuff.. first I played the sweep from the avia disc just to make sure everything was functioning.. everything seems air tight .. first thing I noticed is it has a much flatter response (to the ear at least.. didnt measure it yet).. and unlike my Tannoy, it goes all the way down to 20 rather effortlessely... no port noise, no distortion. I think my room is contributing to teh only sources of noise, cause I suddenly found a million things that vibrate and rattle all over the place [​IMG]
    I then popped in several dvd's in a row w/ certain scenese I like :
    Fifth element (superbits disc) - the beginning when the alien ship is landing there's quite a lot of bass and it shook the hell out of my house but did not stutter a bit
    Terminator 2: ultimate dvd : THX intro (WOW)
    The Matrix: Lobby scene and helicopter explosion ...
    Contact: When elly gets loaded into the machine adn those gigantic rings are spinning around
    finally, my roomate came down to check it out, i put on Star Wars: Episode I - the pod race.. and decided to go upstairs to see what it sounds like ... i should probably preface this by saying i have this set up in a basement with a concrete floor... well I went up to the first floor during the pod race, and the windows and walls were shaking [​IMG] oh this is sweet
    and then i finished it off with the first race from teh fast and the furious...
    now I need to tune it with the BFD but honestly I dont think I"ll need that much tuning to get this puppy perfect.
    Now .. I still have the remaining Tannoy sub, which is not bad at all .. just not something that does particularly well under 30hz.. what I'm thinking is to tie it into the front and/or center for supplimental bass .. nothing loud, just low extension .. Is it safe to just use a Y adapter to tie left and right channels into one input of the sub and the center into the other??
    thanks guys for all your help with the project!
    i'm still grinning

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Congrats! If I had a dollar for every post like this Tempest Testimony, I'd be a rich dude. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labor and research. It is quite unnerving when you first fire up the new Tempest sub, and you unexpectedly have accelerated bowel movements. [​IMG]

3. Mike Dr

lol yeah .. it's even better when your neighbors get the bowel movements [​IMG]

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Welcome to the club [​IMG]

5. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

so you would have to say the tempest is the sub of choice with diy sono tube and what is the diferance between the blueprint driver that is about the same qualty as the tempest and the tempest

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I just got my sonotube today for my tempest sub. Finally, after months of planning. I just haven't gotten around to it but I did get quite a bit done today.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Bryan, a Tempest driver is 56% (if a BP1503 is $250) of the cost of a BP1503 and has 66% of the Vd of a BP1503. The Tempest needs a larger enclosure and requires less power. The Tempest also doesn't have the inductance hump at 70hz that requires the use of an EQ or a sub 70hz crossover point. So if cost is an issue and size isn't, the Tempest becomes very attractive. If you can spend the money on a kilowatt amp and an EQ then the BP1503 can be a very attractive option.

8. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the club! Unfortunately, my sonosub is kept on a tight lease because I still live in an apartment[​IMG] I am having a house built, and plan on creating an IBS with two Tempest drivers. Not sure what I will do with my beautiful Sonosub. Hopefully, I will find it a good home. I miss having light fixtures fall, and finding loose items...July/August (eta on house) can't come soon enough.

9. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I can't wait to join in the fun. I will be final assembing my dual Tempest over the next few days: installing endcaps, wiring/installing subs, finish DIY speaker grills, and applying the tube covering.

The HS500 is STILL on BO from Adire, so no rush. I'm considering using the back channels of my 3802 to test it out though. Is 110wpc enough to get a good idea of how this sub will sound??

10. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Congratulations, it sounds like you have a killer sub there [​IMG]
    Kyle Richardson
    Acoustic Visions

11. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

Great job do you have any pics?

12. Mike Dr

13. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Mike: good job - I like your flush mounting of the amp - I built an enclosure attached to the side of my Tempest tube. Say, are you trying to match Patrick Sun for number of photos per project? [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

15. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Nice sub Mike.!!
    Shayne

16. Mike Dr

Well, yesterday I tuned the sub with the BFD .. my room has a nasty valley at around 57 hz .. so i had to bring the rest of the output down .. but with normal listening levels I measured 90db + at seating location during loud scenes ... and this is with the rat shack spl meter which isnt too sensitive to bass... so i'm probably hitting over 100 :-D ... man i'm gonna go deaf but boy is it fun

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think I got up to 110dB at the seats with the dts Haunting DVD last year, but that way too loud. Keep it sane, folks.

18. PeterV

PeterV Agent

Hi Mike

Congrats on your completed Tempest sonosub!!

I built a 222 litre Tempest with dual flared 4" port

tuned to 17Hz in November. Almost identical to yours.

That is exactly how we described ours "WOW". We think

its great for music and movies. How do like yours for

music?

PeterV

19. Mike Dr

I havent tried it for music much yet... I'll report on it as I use it more and as i break it in. (althought it's more like it's breaking my house in [​IMG])