Tempest sono

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Patterson, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Kevin Patterson

Kevin Patterson Stunt Coordinator

I am considering building a sonotube with a tempest an i need help deciding on enclosure size i want it to be ported an i will be using it for movies and music equally i think i want it tuned around 20hz an would like it to be wider and short rather than tall and skinny so i can have the port and the sub on the same end and i can have it as big as needed can anyone reccomend a size for me?

Kevin

2. Kevin Patterson

Noone>??

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    There have been numerous topics on this, you will get a much more thurough complete idea by searching the forum...

As well, IIRC, Adire audio has software designed specifically with the measurements of their drivers, allowing you to design your own enclosure. And theres always WinISD (Google it) which is useful and also contains the measurements for the Tempest already in its database...

4. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Sounds like you should check this out.

JKS

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Like this ? This is a sealed tempest for music. It is a double wall sonotube- outer tube 24 inch and inner tube 23 1/2 inch. Volume is about 5.5 cubic feet.

[​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Mine's too tall. For the Tempest, I'd go for a 9 ft^3 enclosure, and then use a 6" wide port 16.5" long (tuned to 20Hz). Use 30" wide sonotube with internal height of 24", and add the appropriate length to account for the endcap thickness occupying inside the tube (i.e. if you only use 1 inner endcap 3/4" thick for each of the top and bottom endcaps, that's 1.5" more of sonotube length you need to add to the final sonotube length, 25.5"). The sonotube's length will also have at least enough clearance (one port diameter) for the port, so that's also good.

7. Kevin Patterson

Alright thanks that gives me some ideas oh an by the way i did a serch but nothing came up i was looking for.