Tempest ported or Malestrom sealed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Joe, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

Dec 6, 2001
    I'm going to build a sub powered by the AVA250. I was just trying a search for the malestrom and didn't get any results. I've been looking at doing an adire alignment box for the Tempest. It'll be for 60% music and 40%HT. Also the Tempest is about half the price of the Malestrom. What do you guys think?
  2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Jan 1, 1998

1. The Adire alignment for the vented Tempest will sound very good for music as will the sealed Maelstrom.

2. Output will actually be greater with the sealed Maelstrom in the 50-100+ Hz range thanks to its greater sensitivity.

3. Output will be greater with the Tempest in the sub 40Hz range thanks to its low Fs and the ported design.

4. Enclosure can be smaller with the sealed Maelstrom.

5. Tempest costs 1/2 of what the Maelstrom does.

The Tempest is a very nice sounding driver and I have heard the Maelstom is too. Unfortunately, I have not heard the Maelstrom yet because I had to take a break in the making of my ported design but hopefully it will be finished soon!

I hope this helps some.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions
  3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Feb 5, 2001
    Maybe its just me but I can't see the value of the Maelstrom. It costs 100% more than the Tempest but you only get 20% more displacement and a higher resonant frequency. There must be something else that makes this a higher quality driver.

For comparison:

1) Blueprint 1803 price=$279, Vd=6.29L, $44.4/L

2) Blueprint 1503 price=$239, Vd=4.16L, $57.5/L

3) Dayton DVC 15 price=$133, Vd=2.44L, $54.5/L

4) Adire Tempest price=$150, Vd=2.56L, $58.7/L

5) Dayton DVC 12 price=$120, Vd=1.52L, $78.9/L

6) Adire Shiva price=$125, Vd=1.52L, $82.2/L

7) Blueprint 1203 price=$219, Vd=2.51L, $87.2/L

8) Adire Maelstrom price=$299, Vd=3.07L, $97.5/L

You could get 2 Shivas for $250 and have as much displacement as a Maelstrom and they would work in a smaller box! The Mael does have good sensitivity. Is that what you're paying for? Can somebody shed some light?
  4. Greg P

Greg P Stunt Coordinator

Jan 7, 2001
    I agree. I just got a 1503(God this thing is a monster, the motor assemblies even bigger than it appears in the pictures) for $219. For the extra $80 you could get a used pro amp to power the 1503, and for about another $120 than the cost of the maelstrom you would have a needed BFD. This combo would sound better than the Maelstrom and have a lot more displacement. Before the Maelstrom came out I thougth it would be a beefier version of the shiva and Tempest, that however wasnt the case. The only advantage I see with the maelstrom is the sensitivity.
  5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Jul 22, 2001
    Doesn't the Maelstrom have something like a 96db sensitivity? And a low VC inductance so it doesn't need EQ? And apparently it has excellent sound quality, from what I've heard Dan say. Does the Qts of 0.28 have anything to do with that?

Displacement per dollar... it doesn't look very strong, but I bet it may be a competitive option for people looking to save money by not using an expensive amp or EQ.