What's new

Tempest or Shiva in a car.... (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I know the idea has been discussed here before, I just forget what everyone had to say about it. I've heard people say that some car subs are not ideal for home theater because some rely a lot on the cabin gain in a car, but what a home theater sub (Shiva or Tempest) used in a car? Would there be any advantages to having a Shiva in your car opposed to a designated car sub (general car subs) if space weren't an issue?

Just curious

Andrew

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Adire has become very popular among the Autosound guys as well recently. Didn't Dan say a while back that he completely sold out of Tempest drivers due to an Autosound meat/show? In car or in home, these drivers are excellent.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Seems like the tempest would be great... if you have the space. I don't know about you, but I can't lose my entire trunk.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
The Tempest in my car SOUNDS EXCELLENT..very loud and accurate!! It is in a 3cubft sealed box with 600-700 watts rms. The Match is perfect and i can assure you that i am hitting low 140+ dbs with this set-up. BTW its in a 2002 PT Cruiser.

Good Luck

Angelo

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I thought I remembered from other posts like this one, just wasn't sure... I don't even have a car yet... I was just sitting on the bus on the way home from school and my mind started wandering... nothing wrong with dreaming :)

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember right, a Tempest with a single 500 watt amp has won several regional competitions in its class. There is info on Adire's site about car applications.

[rant]Just remember, when it comes to high SPL to listen responsibly. Hearing damage is usually not reversable. If your ears ring after listening, it was too loud and you damaged your ears. Little by little it will creep up on you and then one day the ringing won't stop. That's tinitus. (sp) If you love music, it pays to take care of the equipment on both ends of the signal. I'll leave the soapbox now...[/rant]

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I have a Tempest in a sealed 3 cu ft box with a Phoenix Gold XS2500 (500 watts) amp and it's more than enough for me.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Seems like the tempest would be great... if you have the space. I don't know about you, but I can't lose my entire trunk.
Jon, You are overlooking a possibly wonderful solution. Don't loose your trunk, USE IT! In my 1986 Cutlass Supreme I have a pair of Tempest drivers mounted in a baffle installed behind the rear seat. Works like a charm and in fact I have to EQ the deep bass DOWN. I'm using an MTX 500D which does a healthy 750W into the 2 Ohm load it is presented with. Makes for a nice bit of headroom even if the battery/alt. starts crying. The best part is that I still have my entire trunk. I needed to be able to move speakers around and of course still fit a few sets of golf clubs.

Kyle and Angelo -

Was fun meeting you guys at CES. So what's next on your project list?

Regards,

Mark Seaton

Sound Physics Labs, Inc.

ServoDrive, Inc.

Andre Ramirez

Auditioning
I was thinking about putting a ported PE DVC 12" in a 2.5-3.0 cu box in the trunk of my 2000 Intrepid, what would you guys suggest as good tuning point?

Thanks Andre

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Mark-

I am working on another project as we speak. I ordered another tempest for a Sonosub to be used in my Home Theater.

After that, I am probably going to PULL out the tempest out of my car and add that to the HT as well and order a BRAHMA and built a REALLY NICE custom fiberglass setup for the car.

Nice meeting you too . How's the Servo Project coming along?

Angelo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks