What's new

Tempest or other 15" driver good for sealed or vented cube? (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to build a sealed or vented cube subwoofer. What driver could I use that would work very well with this? Would the Tempest be a good choice? Blueprint 1503?? How large of a box would I need? The HE15 would be a choice, but its expensive and I'm trying to see if I could go another route. I would be powering this cube with one channel of my Samson S700, so 350w RMS. Ideas?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
No we cannot help you, nobody here has any interest at all in subwoofers , so please go away and never come back. :)
No need to read any further as I am going to tell you how to build a great subwoofer that will be good for HT and music use. Now adhere to these plans exactly or your performance will suffer.
Buy a Tempest driver and put it in a 12cuft ID box made of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood and brace it heavily you must account for the braces , port and driver as they take away from the volume of the box , use a single 8" PVC pipe port , we will get the exact length for you once you get the box built it will be tuned to 17Hz +/- 1Hz . DO NOT COMPROMISE THE BOX SIZE OR PORT SIZE OR YOUR PERFORMANCE WILL SUFFER.
That's it , now get building!
crazy.gif

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, James, I think the 1803's got the pig beat. :) I'd put her in 14 ft.^3, 18Hz, though, for a true EBS.
Imagine two 1803's in the pig, though...oh my.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Dang, thats pretty awesome. I wonder how it would work if the tempest was front firing? Any ideas for that?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That would work fine. You just want to make sure the PR's are mounted on opposite sides of the box. They really get rocking, and that mounting keeps the box from travelling across the floor.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
What would the difference be in sound and freq. between the front firing and the down firing?

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
If you build one of these suggestions and you ever run into a kid named Brian from MD... DON'T invite him to hear your sub. He'll likely whip out a gun and shoot himself right in the middle of your living room.... :D
And James W... who are you to tell anyone about these new fangled subs... You obviously don't have a clue...
Seriously,,, Scott,
I've heard both Shiva and Tempest based subs at Patman's and you won't be sorry. They are simply awesome.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Hank, do you think that your sub would work well with 350w RMS? Thats what I'll be putting into whatever I build. Im almost dead set on building exactly what youve made (of course mine would look different). Do you guys think this would compliment my 20-39 very well? Hank do you have any instructions for that enclosure?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, since mine works More than well with the Adire AVA250 (250 watts), it would work Exceedingly well with with 350 watts. Mine is in a large room with a 2-story ceiling and openings into other rooms and is plenty loud.
I recommend the AVA250 as it has the usual 35-40 Hz boost circuitry defeated. No drawings for mine, but I do have a couple of sketches, including a trick to cut the two curved amp enclosure pieces.
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Hank is yours sealed or ported? I cant tell with that shark on the top of it....=). I know everyone has seen jameW's pig. Well, what if I built half one, i.e. used only one driver? How would that work out?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That would be fine, a Tempest in a 12ft.^3 tuned to 16Hz or so, an EBS alignment.
Go to adireaudio.com and look over the Tempest applications.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks