1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tempest or 15"DVC

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AlexKunec, Jan 30, 2004.

1. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Im gonna build a couple of subwoofers that will act as stands for some gr research av2s. Each stand will have about 75 liters of internal volume. I put either a 15"DVC or a tempest in each of them (sealed). I love output and i love midbass kick. which of these drivers would be better for these small enclosures?

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Those enclosures are a little one the small side for these drivers, but they will still sound very good. I would use the DVC, as it models better in smaller boxes than the Tempest. I've used them both, and I actually prefer the DVC's (price, build quality, smaller boxes, etc.) Both are excellent drivers, and you won't go wrong using either of them.
    JP

3. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

THe only thing I had against the DVC is price, as I live in Canada, and it would be more expensive then a tempest, and also the impedance is pretty low, it says with the VCs in parellel the DC resistance is 2.6 ohms, whereas the tempest is like 4 ohms nominal. Now i was considering running 2 tempests in parellel and getting a 2ohm load on my 250w plate amp with an extra fan. Now, if I used the DVC it would be like 1.3ohms and I dont think the amp could handle it. I would have to wire it up in a series and my output would drop.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Considering your 2 choices in drivers, tho the DVC is a bit more pricey, given your current plan, the DVC is the better choice.

Even then, driving both in P with one 250 plate amp may pose problems. If not pushed to hard, external mounted, and fan cooled, you might get away with that. But come on, who truly always babys their subs...[​IMG]

Sub power can be pretty cheap if your willing to spend some time crusing Ebay, Audiogon, etc. You might find some nice power local (Canada).
    Many times some nice vintage (70's threw the 80's) bigger power 2 channel Amps, DC-intergrated rigs, etc, can go for very reasonable change$$.
    Being that your going sealed, a SS filter would be much less of a concern.
    If this approach worked out, you could go with the cheaper local Tempests instead, and power them this way...

Just another idea you might look into if not in a rush to get started....

Cheers
    Geoff

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The DVC impedence is about 1 ohm lower than the Tempest at its lowest points in the impedence curve. But in a 75 liter box it only dips below 4 ohms below 24Hz and above about 75Hz. So for the majority of the used bandwidth, a single DVC presents a relatively easy-to-drive load for the 250 watt plate amp.

I've got that amp and a 12" DVC, which has basically the same motor. The amp does get pretty warm after a couple of hours playing loudly. But it never shuts down.

Personally I wouldn't even consider driving 2 Tempests with all coils in parallel with that amp. Who knows, it might work. But there's also a pretty good chance you'd get thermal shutdowns or worse. And the warranty would be void at that point.

These plate amps really are so inexpensive ... just buy two. Or consider buying a 2-channel amp that's stable at 4 ohms. Plenty of cheap pro amps out there.