Tempest on backorder!! NO!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimRHIT, Aug 1, 2001.

1. JimRHIT

JimRHIT Stunt Coordinator

I have officially hit the DIY brick wall.
    I have been planning this for a little while now, and finally got it all straightened out and ready.
    So, I came home after work to order, and what do I see. A email from (great guy) Dan Wiggins telling me that the Tempests are on backorder until Aug. 28. Now I am lost.
    Does anyone know of any retailers the LEGALLY sell the Tempest and have one in stock?
    I guess I can always go with the 20-39CS(I think that it is a better choice anyway), but I wanted to save a few $$ and have that pride of building it myself.
    Any help that anyone can give is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Check with HTF member Kyle Richardson he is an Adire Dealer

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I had to wait almost a month for the last batch. Kept myself busy working on the enclosure. I've had the driver for 4 weeks now, and its still in the shipping box cause I have so little time to finish the enclosure.

4. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

I know you probably have you heart set on a tempest, but you could use a Parts Express Dayton 15" DVC. Very similar specs. Both are made by Eminence. I've used both a tempest and a 15" DVC and I think both are excellent drivers.

5. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

You are in the same boat that I was in. I had everything all ready to go, and then I found out that the 12" Shiva's were on backorder. Impatience got the best of me, and I ended up ordering a 12" Dayton DVC driver from PartsExpress...I am very pleased!
    -Stacey
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

There are dealers listed on the Adire website, although if they drop-ship, they'd be backordered when Adire is.

7. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I've got Shiva but no Tempest [​IMG]
    As Fred and Stacey have mentioned the Parts Express DVC models are very, very similar drivers and work very well. I only mention this because I hate to see you abandon your DIY project and not to talk you out of the Tempest!
    I can provide that driver if you decide that you do not want to wait a month for the Tempest, just click the Acoustic Visions link in my signature and go to part number 295-190.
    BTW, thank you Thomas for the plug [​IMG]
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70
    [Edited last by Kyle Richardson on August 02, 2001 at 08:47 AM]

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Personally, I would just keep to the plan, you don't need the driver itself until the very end. Work on the enclosure, get the sonotube cut, create the top and bottom endcaps. Install the top endcap to the sonotube (if you are porting through the top, install the port as well).
    I would wait before cutting in the hole on the bottom endcap for the Tempest driver (14" is too wide, somewhere between 13 3/4" and 13 7/8" diameter is closer to a snug fit).
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

just wanted to chime in with another plug for the PE 15" DVC driver. I built my sonosub before the tempest was released and couldn't till it was released so I went with the PE driver. There's a response curve on my web site but sound wise I'm very impressed.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi