What's new

TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT OR TITUS (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And I love how we keep being told how successful the Olive/Paramount deal is. Really? And we know this how exactly? Knowing what certain types of films have sold on Blu-ray, I doubt they're thrilled right now - but they seem to have very deep pockets. And then there are the often sketchy transfers in terms of color and elements.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
haineshisway said:
And I love how we keep being told how successful the Olive/Paramount deal is. Really? And we know this how exactly? Knowing what certain types of films have sold on Blu-ray, I doubt they're thrilled right now - but they seem to have very deep pockets. And then there are the often sketchy transfers in terms of color and elements.
They did release 102 new movies last year on Blu-ray vs. 80 for 2012. But if that's not any indication that it's successful, then you could make the same case against Twilight Time.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I don't think it's that we want to pay more, but that we realize that the companies have to charge an amount that allows them toy'knowstay in business.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
bruceames said:
They did release 102 new movies last year on Blu-ray vs. 80 for 2012. But if that's not any indication that it's successful, then you could make the same case against Twilight Time.
I make no case for anyone - although I know how Twilight Time is doing. Olive, not so much. You're going to think what you want, and that's fine. In the end, we'll see who's left standing and I know who my money is on, because only one of the two companies can never be undone by returns. You see, returns are the thing - any store can return any amount of discs they like whenever they like for a full credit - can't happen with Twilight Time, but does happen with Olive, although I have done my bit of nosing around and I know what stores have taken of certain catalog titles from major studios and let me tell you it would shock you - and if you think Olive is doing better than that, well, that's fine, too.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
haineshisway said:
I make no case for anyone - although I know how Twilight Time is doing. Olive, not so much. You're going to think what you want, and that's fine. In the end, we'll see who's left standing and I know who my money is on, because only one of the two companies can never be undone by returns. You see, returns are the thing - any store can return any amount of discs they like whenever they like for a full credit - can't happen with Twilight Time, but does happen with Olive, although I have done my bit of nosing around and I know what stores have taken of certain catalog titles from major studios and let me tell you it would shock you - and if you think Olive is doing better than that, well, that's fine, too.
Why does there have to be only one left standing? TT is nothing but a speck compared to Olive or other distributors. But what they all have in common is that their fate is shared in the state of the optical disc. If/when that boat sinks then they all go down.

All distributors have to deal with returns. In TT's case, they have to sit on the stock that they have and if they can't sell it they've already made it clear that they'll hang on to it until it rots and without dropping the price one penny. That's fine. That's their business model, but it does have that drawback. There's only so much you can grow if you're only selling 3,000 copies per title and only selling it from one outlet.

In the end I hope they ALL continue to thrive but I can tell you'd just as soon see Olive go down, since that would definitely help your friend Nick and his 2 man TT business. We all want what we want I suppose. I just want to see optical disc continue to thrive and seeing increasing amounts of catalog be diverted to high-priced 3000 copies limited editions is not my idea of thriving. I won't be cheering it on thank you very much, to each his own.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Last night I even tried to do my part in helping TT thrive by buying a few titles but I couldn't find any that I would pay that much for. There were some nice-to-haves but no must-haves. I would have bought The Big Heat but it's sold out. However I am considering Used Cars and will definitely be buying The Train when it comes out.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I received Khartoum today. Excellent image quality as others have said, better than I expected. I have The Big Heat, one of my favourite blu-rays. The limited edition model makes you think long and hard if you want to buy a particular title. I have managed to buy all the TT titles I want, the only one I came under pressure in deciding was Body Double because it was always going to be a fast selling title. The TT business model makes you pay attention, good continuing luck to the 'two' of them.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
bruceames said:
I would have bought The Big Heat but it's sold out.
As The Big Heat is a famous and much admired film with a substantial cult following, it will probably come out on Blu-ray in Europe before long. (Mind you, I'm still glad I bought Twilight Time's disc!)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Robin9 said:
As The Big Heat is a famous and much admired film with a substantial cult following, it will probably come out on Blu-ray in Europe before long. (Mind you, I'm still glad I bought Twilight Time's disc!)
I sure hope so! At least the nice thing about highly desirable titles is that they'll never stay out of print for long (with some exceptions of course, but usually due to rights/legal issues). Thank God for the European market, they have a lot of nice catalogs (and foreign films) that I've already taken advantage of. Sometimes I think they appreciate our back catalog more than we do.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
bruceames said:
Thank God for the European market, they have a lot of nice catalogs (and foreign films) that I've already taken advantage of. Sometimes I think they appreciate our back catalog more than we do.
That is frequently true, as witnessed by studios who release in Europe but only license out here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what?

I think this thread has run its course. I am closing it.

....and make no mistake about it....I am not siding with anyone here. It's just obvious that
this thread has run its course, and at times, gotten personal.

We allowed it to go on endlessly for 10 pages. I think credit should be given for that.

So...enough already, guys. Do not start another thread and go down this road again, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.