Tempest in a sonotube - got some questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lynn Johnson, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone,

I would like to build my first ever sub or speaker, but I'm starting from scratch. I've read numerous threads on the subject, but like I say, I'm starting from scratch and need to educate myself as much as possible on the subject before I can successfully design the sub. First, can someone link me to a place to explain what all of the parameters mean? I will mainly be basing this sub on someone else's successful plans since this is the first, but would like to understand the terminology used in WinISD to possibly tweak a future design to my liking. I picked up The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook for future use(would like to build some speakers at some point too), but it's just over my head right now. I don't plan to learn this stuff overnight, but I've got time, so any advice is welcomed! Love this site and thanks in advance!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

3. Lynn Johnson

Thanks so much Patrick! Gobs of good info there...now, is there any way to make the cylinder portion of the sonotube sub look good? Is there any REALLY thin layer I could apply to sonotube(that has wood-like properties) that I apply a nice black paint job onto, which would look like black painted wood? Ideas? I would just paint the tube black, but I don't think you can escape the look of a toilet paper roll. Also would like to do something other than a fabric if it's reasonably do-able. Thanks again...

Lynn

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think it's time to roll out the "Bass Maker(tm)"
    [​IMG]
    I just used construction paper for this gag cover for my Sunosub I. [​IMG]

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

That's awesome. I think I'll wrap my water heater in construction paper too!

6. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

btw
    Good morning Lynn!

7. Lynn Johnson

What's up Tim(I work with Tim btw)? Hey does your buddy(the cabinet maker) have any ideas on how to finish a sonotube? Happy New Year everyone!