Tempest in a sealed box

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by HansMe, Jan 28, 2004.

1. HansMe

HansMe Auditioning

I plan to build a tempest with PE 700-396, It's the Dutch version that has a Bass-boost of 4-5dB at about 35 Hz. As I don't have a lot of room (and already another sub) it's going to be closed and small: 50 litres for a Q of about 1.
    As all (reference-)designs are bigger and at least 67 litres and I haven't found any people who have built it like this can anybody give me advise as NOT to do this?
    This thingy (41*41*45 cm) gives a -3dB point of about 31 Hz anechoic, low enough for me (support for front speakers). But high Q seams to give a boomy sound, don't want that......
    As a second sub I have a infinity kappa 120.3SE Bass-reflex 100 Litres, soon to be PR. So for HT this project is of less importance.
    PS. I own a BFD also so can crank it up a little more....

2. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Check with HTF user "KyleGS". He built the 67L sealed high-Q and did not like it at all. I think he finally settled on a 100L sealed HEAVILY stuffed enclosure.

IMHO, If it HAS to be that small I'd use a different driver than the Tempest.

Ronnie

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I'd be inclined to agree, the Tempest needs a lot of volume to really sound good. An AV12 would have similar displacement and wouldn't sound bad in the smaller box I think.

4. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

You may also want to check out the 12" Dayton Titanic, I think it works well in a smaller enclosure

5. HansMe

HansMe Auditioning

I have already bought the thing because I could get it for a nice price and I live in Holland where the AV12 and Dayton are not an option. Around here Peerless XLS are more popular. But no other woofer is an option.
    I wanted to hear some reactions to a smaller box for a tempest... I don't fancy a bigger box. A lot of stuffing is also not done according to the books. But I'll build one (as large as I can take) and play around with it (Stuffing/equalizing) I think.

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

good luck, with the BFD you should be able to tame it pretty good.

7. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I gave the 67L box a try and was not happy with it at all even in my tiny apt. living room. I ran it with the PE 250w amp with no boost. I found that it had too much midbass punch for music and for most movies. It didn't sound anywhere near flat and sounded bloated in the 40-55hz region. My SPL meter confirmed this and my EQ couldn't fix it. Something to consider, since you have the PE amp with the boost you may get an even more "peaky" sound in the 40-60hz region. Most rooms tend to boost the 40hz region also.

If you feel comfortable with a soldering iron you could mod the amp via the supplied instructions and boost the very low end 1-3db at ~20hz.

Or you could put the Tempest up for sale here on HTF (recover most of the cost) and purchase a Titanic, Shiva, AV12, PE DVC, etc and you would be much happier IMO.