What's new

tempest goes.......Clank (1 Viewer)

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've had my tempest in an EBS enclosure for maybe 8 months now and everything has been great.

The other night I noticed something rattling and thought it was a picture but soon realized it was coming from the sub. It's most noticable at low volume when the bass sounds like it's coming from a radio that's not quite tuned to the station.

I took the driver out and found if I tap on the cone I hear a metallic clank.

In many, many speakers and subs, I've never had one go bad.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Curt

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Whoa, that doesn't sound good. Could be the bobbin hitting the pole piece or perhaps the pole piece has come loose. Did you ever hear the sub bottom out? You should definitely contact Adire regardless.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't think I ever bottomed it out. I have a pair of old 10" hsu's under my mains and they had a tendancy to bottom out, it's not a pretty sound!

I did try to call Adire but couldn't get through. From looking at their web site, it looks like there's a 3 year warrantee on defects but it doesn't cover burnt voice coils and other "abuse". Don't know what a burnt voice coil would sound like but the tinsel leads are intact.

Thanks,

Curt

I had a Shiva do the same thing, or at least sounds like your problem. Once I removed the driver and inspected it I found that the entire spider assembly came free from the basket and produced that "metallic clang" sound. I sent it back to Adire but am still awaiting their response. I never thought I abused my either but perhaps we just got a weak batch, I'm sure they will stand behind them though if it is a manufacturing defect.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
I got my tempest back (april 29) It only took two weeks or so for them to get it back to me.

It was either replaced or repaired under warrantee. I don't know since there was no explanation. They even sent me a check to cover the original shipping expense.

Thanks Adire!:emoji_thumbsup:

Daniel_AVR

Grip
I had the exact same thing than John happened to my Titanic MKIII 12"

And Part Express take good care of me.... Jennifer even cross shipped me a replacement driver, no question asked... they even credited me my return shipping cost.:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm glad to learn that Adire are such a customer oriented business too.:emoji_thumbsup:

Let me tell you that these days such a good service deserve some praise....

Big thumb up to both Parts Express and Adire audio...

And they deserve our support... both first on my list before looking elsewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks