Tempest endtable (pics!) - not too safe for dial up.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Adam.Heckman, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

These are my pictures of my (finally) finished Adire Audio Tempest endtable.

It's a mid-q sealed design w/ 3/4" MDF with Oak Handy panels for the sides, 3/4" oak ply w/ quarter round trim for tabeltop, and oak stock for the legs.

Any suggestions for improvements are more than welcome, as I would like to continue doing this stuff and don't know anyone into it locally. Thoughts?

BTW, I never knew you could get bass like this. It's mind numbing!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

Looks beautiful. I don't really see how you could improve it

3. John t.

John t. Agent

Nice job man. How does it sound? Are you going to EQ it with something like the BFD?

How much does it weight?

BTW, how did you place those pics in your message?

4. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

As for the pics, I posted them at photobucket (free account) and the site gives you the code to hot link to them. just a copy and paste. First time I ever did that.

It weights around 140lbs I think. Not too sure though.

I thought about a BFD (in fact, though of making a compartment for it in the table) but I didn't. I may end up doing it, but not as of right now. I haven't run my spl meter on it either, except to calibrate it with the system. All I know, is it rattles the stove when I listen to Chevelle. It's really amazing!

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

5. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

Very nice... how big is that amp you have running it? Is that a 15"?

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

looks like a parts express 250W, and yes the tempest is a 15"

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Nice! I put my Shiva in a similar enclosure... and, I must say, I prefer a downfiring sub.

8. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

As the observant folks here said, yes, it's 15" Adire Tempest w/ the 250 PE amp. Only issue with the amp is, it's got a 30hz filter. Takes out all the 'sub sonic' sound. I'm not too sure if I wanted that. But, because I've never heard one with out the filter, I can't be sure. Other people say not filtering really helps to 'feel' the movies.

As far as downfiring, I love it. I had a problem I posted here earlier about. I thought my bass was to localizable, which I later attributed to the horrible shape of my room. However, now it's in a downfiring position, and that problem is way better. Love it!

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The only thing I could think of would be to put some faux drawers on the front.

10. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

That's an interesting idea. Definately worth some time to look into it...

Are there any pictures on the 'net that show an idea like that carried thru? I'd love to see it before I invest more time and cash into it.

11. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

How did you attach the legs to the main body? Screws from the inside?

12. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Nope. I cheated a bit. I glued them on, and as in the picture, I strap-clamped them. What the pictures don't show, is then I glued scrap wood into the crook of the legs, under the body of the sub. This way, the weight of the sub is on the scrap wood that's firmly glued to the main legs (scrap wood went from underside of body to the floor).

If the weight were just on the legs, it would be a shear force instead of compression and I would imagine that it would fail after some serious pounding.

13. Geoff C

Geoff C Agent

oic!

That's exactly why I was asking; I was thinking the weight of the mdf, big speaker, and amp to top it off, would easily shear itself from the legs once the bass got thumping.

I'm looking to build an end-table sub myself. I have a HSU STF3 that performs well, but I've been promising the wife to build a furniture/functional one (or two!) to end the large-black-box problem (as she sees it).

14. John t.

John t. Agent

Adam.Heckman,

Did you stuffed the box. If you did, how much?
    Do you have any pics of the box showing the stuffing inside?

15. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I'm going to confess: I didn't stuff the box.

When I built it, the stuffing was on the list, but never purchased. Since then, it's just been as easy as taking the speaker out and putting the stuffing in, but I've been thrilled with the sound, and haven't given it another thought.

I'm not sure how/if it would really change the sound.

16. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It shouldn't be too hard. I'd say just some 1/2" oak cut into drawer size and routered on the edges to dress them up and attach them to the front with glue or screwed from the inside. Oh.. and you'd have to attach some pulls to make it look like a drawer. I'd recommend something that doesn't have any moving parts to avoid any rattles. [​IMG]