Tempest Enclosure Help with LspCAD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron D, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Aaron D

Aaron D Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to find the best parameters for a Tempest sonosub that I plan to build. Could anyone tell me if these values are going to work?
    Volume = 230 L
    Ql = 7
    Qa = 30
    Fill = 25%
    Port Length = 57.9 cm
    Port Diameter = 6 in
    Res Freq = 17.9 hz
    I have the program set up for 100 W into 8 ohms. Cone excursion is around 27 mm (I think this accounts for both directions of travel) and port airspeed is around 13 m/s.
    Am I missing something, or does this look OK?
    Thanks for your help.
    Aaron

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Aaron,
    Ok, you have 200W @ 4 Ohms since the VCs are in parallel. The design looks pretty good.
    Your GD is around 22ms @ 20Hz.
    If it was me, I would've gone just a tad lower in the tune say 17Hz but you are fine as it should be a nice box! [​IMG]
    jd
    ------------------

3. Aaron D

Julian, thanks for the help.
    Do you think I should tune lower? The sub will be mostly used for movies, but I will use it alot for music as well.
    Also, could you quickly explain the group delay value to me? I'm not sure what it should be (or what it is for that matter).
    Thanks,
    Aaron

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

GD - the lower the better (look for the highest value and what frequency it occurs for ). GD is kind like a measure of the "tightness" of the bass from the subwoofer. For example, for properly designed sealed subs, they will have very low GD values, and this translates into what people refer to a sub being "tight" and musical. Also, the lower the GD, the better the transient response.
    If you can keep the GD around/under 20ms from 20Hz and up you should be okay. Most of the time, the GD will tail off down to 7ms around 40Hz, so as long as it's not tremendous huge down low, you should be okay. Low tuned (13Hz and under) enclosures will mimic a "tight" sealed sub, but at the expense of SPLs down in the 20Hz range (always a trade-off in subwoofer design).
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

5. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Aaron,
    I would tune lower as I prefer GD in the vicinity of 18ms or less but that's just me.
    ------------------

6. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

Are you using sonotube? If so and you don't have it yet, I can clue you in on a place in KC that has a great deal! I had to drive from Topeka, but it was about $40-60 less than everywhere else I found. Btw, the design looks good to me, but I don't know that much [​IMG] . (I've been learning everything from these two guys among others.)

7. Aaron D

Brett, YGM.
    Pat, as usual, you are quite helpful- thanks!
    Julian, I went back and set the tuning frequency to 15 hz (port went to 86.7 cm long) and the GD went down to ~16.5 at 20 hz. SPL at that frequency didn't change much (I don't think).
    My remaining question is this: will a sub tuned this low still be suitable for music?
    Thanks Again,
    Aaron

8. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Aaron,
    I argree with Jack; you can, in fact, have too long of a port since pipe resonances are an issue. So pay attention to the length of the port.
    ------------------

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

10. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

With that rule in mind, your proposed tune has surpassed it.
    Pat, I thought it was 4 times the diameter?
    ------------------

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

JD, JohnJ from Stryke advocates 5x, and Dan Wiggins didn't quite disagree with him, and in my experience, 9x was too long, so there you go! [​IMG] If you push it to 6x, I don't see much of a problem, but there is a point where the pipe doesn't act like a slug/mass of air, and causes resonance problems.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

13. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Isn't that something of an excerpt from an article at TrueAudio?
    IIRC, I read something like that there.
    Jack,
    I think you are right about Unibox.. I haven't seen any modeling in any other software that I am aware of.

14. Aaron D

OK, after taking the suggestion to use a 4 in port, the length is down to 35.7 cm (less than 4x port diameter) and didn't significantly alter GD or SPL.
    However, port airspeed did change (peak of ~27 m/s at ~11 hz, ~23 m/s at 15 hz). Is this a problem? I thought I read somewhere that it needs to stay under 30 m/s.
    Jack, I will download Unibox today and see what happens. I must admit that I need more time to read the Adire article, though!
    As an aside, Pat, I read somewhere that "Rule of Thumb" originated as a guideline (from back in the day) for the acceptable width of an object that could be used by a husband to beat his wife. Weird, huh? (Of course, I don't condone this!!)

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

16. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Your should try to keep the port airspeed as low as possible(I shoot for under 15m/s), but at 11 and 15 hz you won't have to worry because not much, if any, source material that goes that low, so I wouldn't worry about it.

17. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

To emphasize what Fred just posted, realize that what few sources HAVE signal down in that range, it's rarely above -10 dBFS. That means it's a good 10 dB down from stuff in the 20-50 Hz range. Means you're getting MUCH less delivered power down deep.
    All in all, a peak in airspeed of 20+ m/s down below 16 Hz isn't really an issue. Keep the airspeed in the 20-30 Hz range low, but below that, the need for low airspeed dramatically drops because of the loss in source signal strength.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio
    ------------------

18. Aaron D

Dan, thanks!! At 20 hz, airspeed is ~13 m/s and by 50 hz, it drops to