What's new

Tempest - EBS vs. Adire Alginments (help from anyone - Dan W.) (1 Viewer)

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Which of the two is going to be better suited to impress the friends at the Fraternity house, while sounding great for HT and party music. I am likely to build two of the designs on the Adire website, but slightly modified to have the drivers and ports front firing. I will be powering each side with a channel of my NAD amp(216THX) with about 200 w/c at 4 ohms.
My main concern here is the ability of each of these to blend well with my mains. (RF3's). Does either of the two hold a better advantage in this respect.
Also, size it a concern. Yeah, i know the bigger the better, but is the EBS really worth the extra space?
Will the 200w/c be enough power to drive the subs?
P. S. These subs will be set on the front wall (13 ft) at opposite corners in a 13 x 15 x 8 room.
P.P.S. - My other option right now is the SVS 20-39CS, which obviously wont hold up to dual tempest, but is a proven design. Are these Tempest enclosures proven(do they really sound great?)
Thanks for any help that is possible. JIM
------------------
Jim Walter
- my system -
Marantz SR7000
Sansui QRX9001
Klipsch Reference
Rectilinear III(ancient)
Velodyne VA810

Julian Data

Second Unit
EBS is worth the space IMHO.
I think between the Adire and EBS, they pretty darn close with the exception of the Adire alignment lower in extension output wise.
Do you just want to impress your buds at 30-50Hz region or at the low regions 25Hz and down?
If I were you, I would use the 30-50Hz region.. easier to get SPL for the room. Most DVD hsave this region anyhow.
------------------

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, I am new to the game and I am looking for some help.
Julian, I guess that I would be looking or the 30-50HZ regions b/c we listen mostly to rap and techno and party music, but I dont want to have to worry about my sub being "sub-par" no pun intended, in the lower

Julian Data

Second Unit
The Adire alignment and EBS are tuned pretty low. Of course, the Adire alignment uses a slightly smaller enclosure.
------------------

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Jim, of the two I would say the EBS will impress a little more because of the extra SPL's but both will sound very nice and give impressive SPL's. You may want to look at the SBB4 alignment as this will really belt out the SPL's for music and HT but may not have quite the sound quality as the other two.
I have a Tempest in a 225L enclosure tuned to 19Hz and it sounds wonderful.
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Jim,
Rose Hulman, eh? I considered going there for college!
Anyway, the EBS will give you more output down deep; the Adire Alignment will give you a bit more power handling and midbass capability, in exchange for a bit of low-end output.
Of the two, for a party system, I'd probably go with the Adire Alignment. You really won't need the sub-20 Hz gains you get from the EBS, and the extra couple-hundred Watts power handling in the 30-60 Hz range will help out for dances.
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I appreciate all of the help that I can get.
Ok, I think that I have got this figured out(almost). I would like to do a dual Adire Alignment setup. The basic setup looks like this:
Room is 13' deep by 15' long and 8' tall. You walk in the only door (center-of the wall)facing a 15' wall. Look to the left and there is a 13' wall. Along the 13' wall, it will have from right to left RF3, Adire Tempest, Ent. Center, Adire Tempest, RF3.
So : Speaker, Sub, TV, Sub, Speaker.
My only concern here is the magnetic interference from the subs with the TV. Anyone see any problems here?
What is the recommended distance from the TV?
I would like to use the basic layout designed on the Adire sight, but I want to use a front-firing setup, with no legs. Is this possible?
BTW, I have to stray from the sonosub design, as I am dealing with R(oommate)AF, believe it or not.
Hey Dan, I am sure you would have enjoyed Rose, it isn't really as bad as I thought it would have been, and they are all to non-confrontational, so I play my music as LOUD as I wanted to on the weekends last year. Any suggestions that you have please let me know.
So you think that the 200w/c is sufficient?
Thanks again
Jim

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Jim,
A pair of Tempests in that small room? Yes, 200W will be PLENTY - you'll have a ton of bass!
As far as front-firing, not a problem at all. Just change the box design as needed! Stick to the same volume and tuning, and you should be set.
Distance from the TV? A good 12-18" is sufficient for 99% of all TVs out there.
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
------------------

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. I am a little crazy, Dual Tempests, but I dont want to have to worry about this for a while.
A few q's:
What do you think or know about the differences with using a flared and non-flared port in the Adire setup?
Will I notice that much of a difference?
Will this affect the tuning or vent mach?
Do you think that I would need a subsonic filter for this setup or an EQ?
See, I am on a tight budget right now, (more loans!!yay), and although I don't want to cut corners here, I do want to save cash.
BTW...how would you guess this setup would compare to commercial subs, name a few of its "competitors"(not price, but performance) if you could
Thamks again. JIM

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Jim,
Flared vents help quite a bit. From a chuffing/noise standpoint, the terminal air velocity is pretty much equivalent to a vent with the diameter of the final flare size. For instance, a 4" vent with 1" radius flares will have a terminal air velocity VERY close to that of a 6" diameter straight vent.
Can you notice the difference? At the upper end of applied power, yes. However, if cost is an issue, go with a larger diameter straight vent, and play with box layout to handle the longer vent length.
Subsonic filter? Depends how much ultra-deep stuff you're planning on playing! For 99% of users out there, I'd say no. Especially given that you'll have TWO of these beasts in the room. So I'd go with the EQ.
Commercial subs to compare against? I really can't think of any. I don't know of a commercial sub with as much linear displacement as a Tempest, until you get to the ULTRA-HIGH buck stuff - sub arrays from Infinity, top-end Velodynes, etc. I think each of your units would compare favorably with the HGS-18, for instance.
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
------------------

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
"Commercial subs to compare against? I really can't think of any. I don't know of a commercial sub with as much linear displacement as a Tempest, until you get to the ULTRA-HIGH buck stuff - sub arrays from Infinity, top-end Velodynes, etc. I think each of your units would compare favorably with the HGS-18, for instance."
Dan
Very usefull information. I have always wondered this as well.
-JohnA

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
i thought Dave Matthews was the staple of frat boy music
wink.gif

j/k. Im just waiting on a port and ill have my Adire Alignment (210l, two 4" flared ports 16" long) finally complete. Ended up costed a bit more than this fellow college kid's budget should allow but hey, this outta be nice. Ill be sure to let you and the others know how things go.
in the meantime: http://thend.org/~dannydigital/tempesthowto.html
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks