What's new

Tempest Connections (Sub to Amp to Receiver) (1 Viewer)

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have a diagram of how they wired their Tempest from VC's to the A/V or similar?
I may go with wiring a coil to each terminal, but then need help on how to "jumper" the terminal for parallel configuration. Also, do you use an single interconnect from the receiver and go into the amp left or right input, or use a splitter and go into both the left and right. Or, do you use line level inputs? Any benefit to one over the other?
Just trying to get some ideas churning!
Thanks, Casey ;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well to jumper the terminals for parallel operation you just connect a wire between the two positive terminals, and a wire between the two negative terminals.

Interconnects are line level connections. I think you are referring to speaker level connections (connecting speaker wire to the binding posts on the amp). If you are intending to use the crossover in your receiver (which you more than likely should be doing) then you will want to run an interconnect between the sub preout on your receiver and the plate amp. You can get a splitter so you can plug into both the left and right inputs if you want, but it doesn't really matter. I just plug a single interconnect into the left input on my AVA250. Although I'm confident it doesn't matter which one you plug into.

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,
Yeah, I meant speaker level. I will have either option but may just stick with the line level inputs. My A/V is a Denon 1802 and does not have variable crossover points. I believe that if you have the mains set to small and the subwoofer set to yes it only feeds 80Hz and below by default. I hate it when they come out with the new receivers and they always raise the bar on features with the new models! :angry: Oh well!
Thanks for the comments.
Casey

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Since you have a dual input cup just wire each voice coil to each input on the cup and make sure the jumper straps are connected to the outside of the input cup. This just gives you a few more wiring options in the future without having to open up the sub.
As far as the amp to the receiver goes, most people just connect the single sub out to either the left or right input on the amp. You can hook a "Y" connector up if you would like.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Remember that the crossover dial on the plate amp only controls a low pass filter. The high pass is fixed at 120hz or 125hz on the AVA250 or PE300-794.

So if you use the speaker level inputs, although you can vary where the sub starts to attenuate, the signal going out to your speakers will start attenuating from 125hz down no matter what.

80hz is a great crossover point and I strongly recommend using it over the speaker level option on the plate amp.

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
RE: Dustin
Good Answer! ......
NO speaker level...
love 80hz-X-0ver at the highest point..

:^)

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks