Tempest connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Kanyak, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

Would it be possible to use my old Technics receiver that is 85watts x 8ohms to power each of the Tempest 8 ohm voice coils separately or should I suck it up and buy a separate amp???

Would this be enough to drive the Tempest at modest levels???

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You might as well give it a try. If it doesn't have enough juice, then go buy another amp.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

You have at least 2 options neither of which require getting another amp. giving each coil a channel will work ok and utilize both channels of the receiver. Presuming you have a mono sub signal, split it into the right and left receiver inputs (any but phono) and your good to go. Just make sure you don't hook the coils out of phase or next to nothing will come out of the sub. The other way is to wire the coils in parallel and hook to a single amp channel. This will give the receiver a 4 ohm load which it may or may not like.

4. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

As long as your amp will run mono properly. I would be reluctant to trust it, but im no electrical engineer. I do know that its easy to destroy a dvc woofer when wired incorrectly or if the phase between the coils is off. You would probably be safest just running the voice coils in parallel. Your amp should be able to handle the load. You would have to refer to the manual for that, or just try it and see how hot the amp gets. Ive rarely come across an amp incampable of handling 4Ohms for an extened period of time.

5. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

It is model #SA-GX303 in the manual it says no mention of a 4ohm load? I liked the amp because it had a cheesey PE. So i figured that I might be able to try to tune out any bump repsonses..

6. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I did what Brian suggested and gave each coil a channel from my 12 year old sony receiver, supposedly 100w per channel. I run my sub 6db hot in a large basement and I have the sony on 4.5 out of 10 and the sub out on the main receiver as low as it will go. I have more bass than I could ask for. The only reason I would replace it with a sub amp is to make space on the rack.

Bob