What's new

Tempest Complete (Pics) (1 Viewer)

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
I just completed an AA 214l ported tempest, powered with a DT300 Amp. I would like to thank everyone who helped me at the HTF. I couldn't have done it without all your help. I threw 20 or so movies at this thing in the last 2 days, and all i can say is OMG!!!. It's everything i've wanted and more. You can access the pics from my link below. i still need to calibrate it(gonna get an spl meter this week). I'm sure i'll have some questions on that too.

My brother and I spent 6 long nights in the garage building this beast, i hope you guys like it, .

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i almost want to say paint, but not sure

BTW where is that placed, looks like you took the pics from the head of the stairs, which makes me ask how the heck did you lift that sub to get it into that position?

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice work Curt. I'm building a Tempest at the moment, can't wait to get it finished now that I've seen yours!

Let us know what it sounds like once you've broken it in.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Allen, I think it's a nice laminate. When you look at the picture of the cabinet on its side - without the drivers and ports mounted, you can see the clear/clean lines of the laminate. Had it been paint, I feel these areas would be a bit more "messy".

Also, if you look at one of the pictures he has linked, you'll see a ladder "bridging" between the steps and the area where the sub is now placed. But, it looks like it was a bit tricky - and heavy to get it into such a position.

Curt, your sub looks great! :) Once the driver has had a bit of time to get into gear, the sound should even improve a bit more.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Curt, what subwoofer did you have before, for reference?

BTW, Allen, how do I join the "It's Never Too Big Or Too Loud To Have In A Dorm" Club? Next year, Tarkington Hall at Purdue will be graced by the presence of a 500w Stryke Thunder 12.3 sub cabinet, finished off in my own unique way, with an AV12 driver.

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys,
Yes, it's glossy black laminate. I wish i could paint that good (would have saved me some money). Wayne's right, i bridged a ladder across the stairs/shelf and three of us(two on the ladder) walked it across. It was alittle tricky, and i hope i don't have to take it down any time soon. My previous sub was the Dayton 10"/100W from parts express. It too was a big improvement from my previous sony.
How many hours of use does it normally take to break in the Tempest? I haven't watched a full movie yet, just played a bunch of bass heavy tracks from alot of movies. Will i damage the driver or shorten it's life span if i use it at a fairly high level right away. My amp is 300W rms-600W peak and i have never turned it up past half way.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Awesome looking sub...!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Quite a precarious position, how does it relate to your listening area & did you try it anywhere else first?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

I don't think so. I have the same subwoofer (except for the amp, I use a 250w plate amp.) As long as you don't have the gain up too high on the amp you shouldn't overdrive the woofer.

As Wayne commented, the driver will only sound better through time.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Looks great Curt. Make sure it doesn't want to walk off that ledge when it gets really bumping though! That could be a disaster! :eek:

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Johan,
You can get the laminate from any countertop retailer. I live in Canada, and i got mine from Columbia Countertops. It's just glossy black laminate (some call it piano finish) it cost $65.00 CND. a sheet. Hope this helps .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks