Tempest as Car Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Strassburg, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

A new kid started at work last week and is looking to upgrade the stereo in his car. I offered to help him build a sub based on a Tempest, so I need some help as I have NO idea on how to make them work in a car. Obviously like all young guys he wants MAX SPL, plus it's gotta go low.

What size box would work, the smaller the better to leave some space in the trunk?

Sealed or ported?

What kind of power will it need, so we can pick out an amp?

TIA...Mike

2. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

MIke-
    I have a Single Tempest Sealed in a 3cf box. I have a PT cruiser so I dont have a trunk. It is powered by an Autotek SX2300 (700 watts bridged 4ohms) and the combo is SUPER LOUD!!
    Here is a LINK to a forum dedicated to Adire and Car audio.
    Good Luck
    Angelo

3. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

Ooo car audio. How many Tempests? I suggest two. Each in seperate enclosures. Do as big of boxes as you can fit in his trunk. Tune to....38 hz or so....There is usually an in car peak 12 hz or so after the tuning freq. So he would get a peak at 50hz or around there. If he likes rap, the bass will be rather loud with the peak there. Tell him the JBL BP 1200.1 That will give him 600 a tempest, that's enough for those subs to get REAL loud.

4. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

I tried my 15inch Dayton DVC (basically a Tempest) in a 1.75cf sealed box (yup, Qtc ~1.0) with ~350watts RMS in my 1986 Pontiac Parisienne, and it was loud... then my amp fried, so I had no chance to evaluate SQ at all [​IMG]
    But what I can tell you is that it was quite loud [​IMG]

5. Mike Strassburg

Jordan,
    I'll see what he thinks about 2, but how big of an enclosure are we talking as he did mention wanting to keep some trunk space for dead bodies or something [​IMG]

6. Jordan Tracey

Uhh....I always like 8 cubic feet. Heh. Though two 8cuft boxes is 16, that would probably take up his whole trunk....Do 5 cubic feet a Tempest. In a 5 cubic foot box do two 4 inch ports 6.5" long.

7. Mike Strassburg

Jordan,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any good sites with box size calculators where you plug in the dimensions and get the CF size?

8. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

instead of 2 tempests, why not go with one brahma, just a bit more money but a significantly smaller box. or better yet see my sig...2 brahmas

9. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

10. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I thought the tempest was excursion limited with 250-300watts. Same with the shiva. I think A sealed sub is always better in a car. With up to 12db of cabin gain unless you listen to your stereo at 120db all the time or compete in spl comps I can't seeing you needing more. And if you run two in a 3cuft enclosure it'll take about the same room as a single ported.

11. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I have a setup similar to Angelo: one tempest, sealed enclosure of around 3 cubes, goosed with a good 800 watts from an orion amp. The key I think with stuffed sealed boxes in cars is stuffing them. I believe the general rule of thumb for polyfil is no more than 1 pound per cube, but it lowers your Q nicely. With around 3 cubes of volume and adequate stuffing, you can bring the tempest to just above your optimal .707. As for an amp, I would highly recommend going used. I got my 800x1 Orion for $250 on Ebay, and it's a 2 channel with 24db/octave xovers. Good luck

12. Jordan Tracey

PORTED! Screw the 12db of cabin gain. You want ported. Let the kid make his ears bleed. Do two temepests in 5 cubic feet boxes tuned to 38 hz or so. He will be happy. Louder than all his buddies. Heh...

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I was pleased with a 200 watt amp and an adire alignment tempest in my car. My other speakers start distorting way before I start using the watts for the tempest.

I don't see why somebody would need more than 200 watts to power the tempest unless they wanted a lot of possible bass output (at ear damaging levels).

14. Mike Strassburg

Lots of feedback on this. Still deciding between ported or sealed.

What is a reasonable amount of power? Will he really need 500+ watts to make this sub work? I'm "assuming" a sealed sub would require more powere, correct?

I plan on building a box out of 3/4" MDF. Will I need to brace it or just screw & glue?

15. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I would go sealed with 500W and lots of polyfil to keep the size down. Besides, I prefer the sealed sound in cars. You won't need 2 either unless you want to tear the car apart and spend about $500 more including amp. 1 is plenty.

16. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Ya, 1 will be more than enough, unless however he wants to compete, but then it he'll have to deal with bigger amps, sound deadening (aka rattle proof it) etc etc. I'd go with just 1 and about 350 watts rms.

17. Mike Strassburg

I talked to him about it today to see what his expectations were and a sealed sub with about 500 watts seems perfect. He wants it to be accurate & loud, but not competiton SPL's.

Is there a 3cf pre-built box or should I just build one? Do I need to brace it internally?

Thanks for the help...Mike

18. Brian Teal

Brian Teal Extra

Mike,

I've built a few sub boxes and would highly recommend doing it yourself. It's one of the easiest construction projects you can tackle. 3/4" MDF is perfect. No Bracing needed unless you are going with a rather large or elaborate design. What I use is wood glue where the MDF meets, and don't skimp on the number of screws (always predrill holes). When you are done with that, slop some silicone all over the seams (inside and out). Also you can run down to Home Depot and get some leftover carpet for free usually. Use the 3M spray adhesive for the carpet.

Have fun!
    --Brian

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

If you have clamps, I suggest not using screws at all. Much more trouble than their worth; even with predrilled holes. At least that's been my experience.

Brian

20. Mike Strassburg

Brian & Brian,
    Thanks for the tips. I'll probably have to glue & screw as I don't have the clamps, but of course I'll see if anyone at work does [​IMG]
    One more question for anyone with a Tempest in their car: what kind of speakers/amp are you running to keep up with this thing?
    He's got a new Mazda Millenia with 4 - 6x9's & tweeters in the doors. It does play pretty loud/clean. My plan was to use bass-blockers for his speakers and play around with the x-over until it sounds balanced, but if he really cranks it will the speakers just get drowned out by the sub?
    P.S. We stopped by my house today at lunch and he got to hear my dual Tempest. I think it actually scared him at first! Now if only I could fit that beast in my Altima [​IMG]